Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Friendship and Surpassing a Milestone

 

Wowie!   I just realized that I have surpassed my 100th post since I began blogging in March. I want to say to everyone who has been reading Sullivan and Murphy over the past 7 months that I truly appreciate your stopping by, whether you choose to leave a comment or not.  Of course, I love it all the more when you talk to me…  

I’ve met so many talented and gifted people who never fail to amaze me with their ideas, projects, and thoughts.  So many of you have offered your friendship in ways that make me feel as if we’ve known each other forever. As blogging friends, you inspire me in so many aspects, and for that I thank you so very much.  I really believe that you can NEVER have enough friends…

  I thought that I would show you something I wrote about friendship when I first began blogging. When I received nine comments on it, I was ecstatic! You remember the feeling, don’t you? The one that was preceded with doubt, thinking that no one but your closest friends or relatives were reading what you were posting!  Well, nine comments thrilled me in a way I cannot describe- someone had actually thought enough of what I had written to respond!  I hope you enjoy reading it now .

                             

 

 Friends ~   Originally Posted March 5, 2009

 

 

This is an excerpt from one of my favorite little books,
Wit and Wisdom from the
Peanut Butter Gang
by H. Jackson Brown
The book is a compilation of quotes from children who have much to say about life.
 
Please click on the text to read the excerpt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

I was as lucky as H. Jackson Brown was to have had a happy childhood full of friends. In grade school I had my neighborhood guy pals who met up with me in the vacant field around the corner where we played baseball, kickball, and tag.

To this day, Mike Edwards talks about the time he had to be admitted to the hospital for the concussion I gave him while playing tackle football!
Of course, to complement my tom-boy side, I also had my girly pals with whom I dressed Barbie dolls and talked about the cutest boys in class.
 
Junior high and high school friendships were both happy
and painful.
As in most schools, there were cliques. We had the cheerleaders,the pep squad, the cowboys, the athletes. There were the bandies, the braniacs, the tough kids, and more.
Often, these cliques overlapped. We were a small school and my friends and I
could easily fit into several categories at the same time.
 
During this awkward period of adolescence,
we all wanted to be considered popular.
Friendships were cultivated & often kept.
Sometimes they dissolved through petty jealousies.
We sometimes felt the pangs of hurt and anger
when we thought that we had been wronged.
I know now that this was just preparation for our relationships
in college and in adulthood.
 
Today, I consider myself to be very lucky in my friendships.
My best friend, of course, is my husband.
I have my work friends, my family members, my old friends, and my neighbors.
Newly added to this list are my blog friends.
I want to thank all of the friends I've had in my lifetime
for their love, support, caring, and encouragement.
They've helped make me what I am today.
 
 
To quote one of the children in H. Jackson Brown's book…
 
"No matter how many friends you have,
there is always room for one more."

24 comments:

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Congrats on your 100+ posts! Glad to be one of your blog friends!! :)

Amy

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue...That was a very nice post! Right from the heart! Congratulations on your posts and I am so glad we are bloggy friends! One of these days soon we will meet in person!~Hugs, Patti

Blue Creek Home said...

Awe! This is a beautiful post. And yes, I do remember how it felt when I got my first comments from non-family members.
Congratulations on your passing your 100th post. I think you can collect $200.00!!!
(You should write a book about your childhood - sounds wonderful and you do have a way with words- I wanted more!!!)
Rhonda

Stacey said...

What a sweet post Sue. I enjoy your blog very much. I'm glad you came into blog land. :)

Shelia said...

Oh, Sue! Congratulations on your 100th post! This was great to read and I'm so glad I've found you! You are a Dear One!
Blessings,
Shelia ;)

Blondie's Journal said...

"The only way to have a friend is to be one!" I love it. So true. And I know the feeling of holding my breath when I turned my computer on to see if I had any comments! They are still so important to me..that somehow, my post or a part of my post touched something inside someone.

Shhhh....I had my hundreth awhile ago and never noticed. I am having a giveaway just for the heck of it, soon!

xoxo
Jane

Jo said...

Congrats on your posts - when I started I thought only my family and close friends would read my blog but I too feel blessed to have so many online friends and ppl who share their little piece of the woods as well as inspire and teach me something new everyday! Thank you so very much for being one of those people!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great post! Congratulations on your 100th post.

Gwen said...

There is always more room for such dear people like you:)

Sharing with Sherri said...

What a nice post Sue... I'm so glad that you have become a dear sweet blogging friend to me.

I never thought that the people I have met through blogging would become such an important part of my life.

My other friends and family I think, think it's kinda strange when I mention things about blog friends lol! But I tell them, I guess you'd have to be a blogger to understand!

Anyway, congrats on your 100th post! I'll be looking forward to many more!

XOXO,
Your friend,
Sherri:)

~~Carol~~ said...

What a great post, Sue! Where would we be without our friends?! And congrats on your 100th post! I'm almost there too, and it's so funny because I wanted to quit blogging after only one week! So glad I stuck with it, because I've met so many nice people, like YOU!

Susie Q said...

You write so beautifully Suey. This is exactly how I feel...and feel so blessed to have found your friendship. I feel as if we have known one another for years and years. What a blessing!
I adore you!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, I remember when we first met...do you? It has been a pleasure knowing you and I look forward to your next 100 post. xo Lynn

Anonymous said...

congrats on your 100th post.Im looking forward to many more....thanks for sharing.....Pat H

marmielu said...

Hi, Sue! Congrats on your 100th post! This was a very nice way to say "thank you".
Mary Lou

susan said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I really do feel as if I have made real friends in Blogland myself!

Kathleen said...

Happy 100th, Sue! I agree, so much fun getting to know new bloggers, and they do feel like friends!

Sue said...

Happy 100th post...does SusieQ really call you Suey?......my husband calls me that...no one else just him....love the post...I still have the same friends from 45 years ago but there IS always room for many many more...this whole blogging thing has really opened up a wonderful new world of the most special people I have ever met......

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Congratulations on your 100th post Sue! What a lovely post! I feel the same way about my blogging friends. I think we have a wonderful and for the most part supportive community. I'm so glad I've gotten to know you!

Manuela

Balisha said...

Hi Sue,
This post is so meaningful..We bloggers bond like no others. Congratulations on your 100th post.
Balisha (HUGS)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sue,
Congrats on your 100th and I just love the note you left! Meeting the AZ blogger plus Karen from Ca was my first time but it won't be my last! It was so much fun and you are so right, non-blogging friends just don't get it. I am so glad you have been able to meet fellow bloggers as well, it's just the neatest experience! Hugs, Cindy

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, what a wonderful post and what a wonderful book that must be. I love the story from the book, and I love what you wrote about friendship. Congratulations on more than 100 posts! laurie

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

What a sweet sweet post Sue! Thank you- 100 posts!! You go girl!!

blessings
mary

Dawn said...

Congratulations Sue. I am so honored to be your freind. I'm sorry your number didn't come up in the random number generator, we are still freinds, aren't we? LOL!
Hugs,
Dawn