Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

To market, to market, to buy a fine pig… How about furniture, instead?

 

Showplace-Twilight Showplace on the Park, one of the many showrooms at the High Point Furniture Market.

photo from City-Data.com

 

I’ll be driving to North Carolina on Sunday night to attend the the High Point Furniture Market. I love going down there to see all that is new and inspiring in home furnishings and design.  The market is the largest furnishings industry trade show in the world, and according to the IHFC website, it brings more than 85,000 people to High Point every six months for its two markets. The market is open to members of the trade only, and we’ll be scouting for new items for our furniture store.

Since there is about 12 million square feet of showroom space, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to see all of it.  It’s all I can do to make it through three full days of visiting the company lines that we already carry. There’s a lot of walking involved, so I wear the most comfortable flats I have. No high heels for this girl! There are a few showrooms I know of that actually have foot massagers so dealers can rest their weary tootsies. And I can attest as to how good a massage can feel after walking miles and miles, even in sensible shoes.

With over 2000 exhibitors at the market,  you obviously have to narrow down your focus as to what you want to see.  We visit the showrooms of most of our store’s top lines, but we also like to keep a look-out for new companies that can enhance or possibly even replace some of our existing ones.  That aspect of market is always the most fun for me. I love scouting out new vendors who offer unique accessories.  

I’m also using the trip as an opportunity for me to find and order some furniture for our own home. I’m hoping to find just the right sofa, chairs, or sectional for the great room so I can move the existing leather pieces into the study.  I’ll be needing all new tables, lamps, and accessories, since I plan on going a bit more contemporary.  Do I have a plan, or what?

Our master bedroom suite with the mahogany rice bed just doesn’t suit our style anymore, so I also want to look for something more transitional. And the current media room will be transitioned back into a sunroom,  so maybe I’ll find some wicker for it. Looking for all of this and things for the store won’t be too daunting a task, will it? 

*** Thought I’d let you in on a little secret.  Mr. Sullivan has this little “rule” that I am very guilty of bending~ uh, how about just not following?   He says if I am going to buy something new, I need to sell the old stuff first.  It’s a good thing this rule has never been enforced!  But I have him figured out~ he just likes to play at giving me a hard time…  *big grin*  He knows I’ll eventually sell the old things; in fact, I’ve always sold them just by word of mouth - talking to customers, workmen, or displaying photos at my yard sales. I’ve been pretty lucky- in the past, I’ve sold everything I wanted to replace except the old formal dining room. It’s still in the garage storage room awaiting a buyer.

So I’ll be missing in action until Thursday. It’s going to be a whirlwind trip, but it’s something I look forward to each time I go.  I’ll take as many photos as I can get away with; many of the showrooms do not allow you to take pictures.

See you when I get back.

20 comments:

Jo said...

Looking forward to hearing what is new and exciting -if you can't take photos maybe you can give us an idea where the trends are going. Have fun.............

blushing rose said...

I wouldn't dare go there ... I don't have enough credit cards ... chuckle! Have a wonderful time & be kind to your footsies.

Have a lovely weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Pat said...

Sounds like fun, Sue!

Sharing with Sherri said...

hi Sue,

Whoa, that place is huge!!! I'd need a golf cart or something to get around to see everything!

I didn't know you and hubby are in the furniture biz...how cool! I wish you were closer I'd love to see what ya got!!

Btw, I'm so glad you entered my giveaway, and thanks for posting both buttons!!

Good luck! and have a nice weekend!
hugs,
Sherri:)

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

That sounds like real fun! Buying for the store and the house. Killing two birds with one stone, aren't ya? Have a great time!
Brenda

Lori E said...

Talk about a kid in a candy store. I want one of those and one of those oooohhh and definitely one of those. Sigh.

Dawn said...

How exciting. Must be so much fun to be "in the trade"!Hope you find lots of great stuff!
Hugs,
Dawn

erin said...

Hi Sue,
Oh - my goodness - sounds like you are going to have a fun little trip to High Point. How nice that you get to buy for your store as well as for your home. I can't wait until you return and bring us up to date on all of the new trends.
Thank you so much for putting my blog giveaway on your side bar.
Have a wonderful trip.
Blessings,
Erin

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue

Have a good time amd make sure to take advantage of having your toosies rubbed...I'd go for that alone!

Hope you find the perfect pieces for your business and home! I hope you can snag a lot of photos!

Hugs, Pat

Kathleen said...

Ok, here's what I need..
den...2 sofas, or sofa and love seat..wing recliner chairs, new tables....not leather, not microfiber, no loose pillows, , traditional, have no idea on color..room is BM Manchester tan..
Now work that all out for me, and let me know what I owe you! :)

Have fun..and I am really in need of those things..

Shelia said...

Oh, Sue! I'm a little envious! What a huge place! I'm sure you'll find just what you're looking for! How exciting and at good prices! Years ago, our best friends owned a furniture store and they took us to market in Dallas and I was in heaven! Furniture and accessory heaven! After seeing the prices at market, I always complained when we'd buy furniture after that! :)
Can't wait to see what you get. Have a great time.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

{ L } said...

That is too dreamy!! I would simply LOVE to do that! What a fun experience. And are you kidding?? 12 million sq ft?!!

Gwen said...

I am jealous that you get to go to High Point! You are going to take tons of pictures right?

Have a safe trip and I will wish you much luck in not only finding a new bed set, but selling the old one:_)

farmlady said...

Really enjoy yourself. Wish I could see this place. Sounds tiring but fun. Buy some great things. Can't wait to see what you come home with.

Sue said...

Hi Sue....well aren't you going to have a wonderful time....It's like hitting the lottery being able to buy furniture at cost...We go to the Merchandise Mart here in Atlanta but High Point...it's like Disneyand for furniture fanatics....Can't wait to see what you get for yourself...Sue.

Libby Murphy said...

Oh I bet you find just what you're looking for. I so hope so. I've never been to market at High Point but have certainly heard a lot about it.
Let us know what treasure you bring home.
Happy Twirls

Rue said...

Have a great time Sue! Have you already left?? I swear you emailed me a minute ago... hmmmm... you're not on the computer and driving at the same time are you???

xoxo,
rue

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wait - don't leave yet! I haven't sent you my want list! :-) Have a fun and safe trip. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Helen said...

I could spend days just looking at furniture and dreaming of design possibilities. Be safe and hurry back to us.

Helen said...

Hello again .... my sister and her husband live in Albany - right next to Athens and OU.