Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

They’re Here….

 

they're here

Do you remember the tag line from the movie, “Poltergeist,” where little Carole Anne stares at the snowy television screen and announces to her family that, “They’re here…”

Well, I made that same announcement to my family several days ago when the long awaited Ugly Roosters made their way into my home from Jane at Blondie’s Journal.  You may remember that Blondie held an Ugly Rooster Give-away contest after Barb’s Rooster Party.  Some bloggers adamantly told her that they were NOT interested in winning this fine pair of fowl.  I, on the other hand,  figured, “what’s the harm in entering the contest? I never win anything anyway!”  Boy, was I surprised when she announced that I was the winner!

I waited anxiously for my fine feathered friends to arrive, and when UPS left a package at my door a few days ago,  I announced to my own family, “They’re here….” 

 

Blondie sent this note….

note

 

I opened the box and the wrapped the consolation prizes just kept coming and coming….  I saved the bubble wrapped Ugly Roosters until last, so I started by opening one of the smaller packages. The first thing I opened was this vellum envelope of tea lights.

candles

I couldn’t figure out why I’d be needing tea lights, but figured I’d get my clue once a few more packages were unwrapped.

 

bookmarks

There was a packet of bookmarks with a rooster theme…

 

mag

… A regional magazine indicative to the area where Blondie lives- The Windy City!!

 

mug

This coffee mug came from a gift shop in Michigan, where Blondie and her family have a lake house.   I drank my morning coffee in it today.

 

 

pad

I’ll be using this note pad to try and keep myself organized.  I write notes to myself, then I don’t remember where I put them.  Gotta work on that…

 

 

mixes

She sent along a couple of dip mixes for me to enjoy.  Think I should share?

 

box

I couldn’t wait to see what was in this lacey wrapped package…  Do you see the little “Friends” sticker in the top left corner?

sticker

 

 

p4 

The box held this beauty that I just love, love, love!!!!   It’s an aqua colored pitcher that she found at an Anthropologie store.

 

 

label2

 

I have started a collection of tea pots and pitchers, so it’s now on display  on a shelf on the side of my kitchen sink. I can look at its beautiful lustre whenever I do dishes!

 

 

And while I’m standing at the sink. I’ll also be able to see …..  

roosters

……My Ugly Roosters!!

 

I don’t think they’re that bad, after seeing them in person. Sure, Mr. Rooster has what Blondie calls voodoo eyes!  And their legs are really something to behold!   But in the nest he’s presenting her reads the following sentiment…

home fires

And guess what?  I now know why she included the tea lights! I placed one in the nest and lit it last night.  Mr. Sullivan laughed when I brought him into the kitchen to see what others are calling my “booby prize.” 

Now, while I admit these are not the prettiest roosters around blog land, I kinda like my new-found fowl friends!  Do YOU think they are really all that bad?!  Be honest!  Would you have the guts to display them in your own home?   Let me know.  I can’t be the only one out out there who doesn’t want to permanently hide them in a dark closet like Blondie did, am I?   Wouldn’t it be all right for them to stay out and visit on my window sill for a little while?     *grin*

32 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

So they have arrived!! I am so glad. It seems a curse has been lifted from my home (Oh no, did I mention the curse?). So will you be spray painting them white? lol!!

I wnated to mention on the lake cup that I live on the lower right hand side of the lake. The white spot in the middle of the lake is an island with 100 inhabitants that we try not to associate with...

So happy you like everything and it made it there safe and sound!

xoxo
Jane

Lori E said...

I love the roosters. I will have to take a photo of a couple of my "friends" here that don't look all that normal. Display them proudly and don't worry about the curse. The newspapers said that it probably wasn't for real though the people involved still twitch and cry at the sight of any fowl.

Lori E said...

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that the Writer's Challenge is up and running on my site. I hope to hear from you.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

How fun! However, yeah. I think they might look better in a dark closet :).

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OK Sue were suppose to be honest here?? well I'm so glad you won these my friend ha ha!! But that Blondie is a doll to give you all those booby prizes...Is she not the best...I just love all these great ladies here in blogland..Hope you have a great weekend my friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue.....Lots os consolation prizes! Actually I think they are kind of unique. I hope she is kidding about the curse! lol~Patti

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

LOL! Jane's comment is so funny! I love the pitcher and everything she sent you except the roosters! But if they make you chuckle or smile when you see them I'd keep them out.

Manuela

Betty said...

Oh my ...lol .. I love the way you shared all your "prizes" (that's what we call 'gifts') .. I took my time scrolling down and reading what you were writing and loving everything you go .. then when I got to the chickens I just busted out 'LOL-ing' ... Then I thought.. now wait a minute .. maybe there is something really cute you can do with them ...But "NO" .. I just can't think of a thing ...lol ...But I would just treasure them cuz they came from such a sweet person.. and they make you smile. :^) .. and maybe they would be happy in the garden come spring. :^)
Hugz ...Betty

twiceasnicelettering said...

You made out like a fat cat, or should I say fat rooster. Love everything you got and I don't think they are ugly. They all a bit of whimsy. Have a great weekend.
The Twins

Jo said...

Sometimes ugly grows on you lol

Kathleen said...

Oh pulease... bury those roosters so they can rest in peace and so can we!
I dread seeing them flying around Blogland like those Target birds...:)
Great gifts from Blondie...fun post, Sue..

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Congratulations on winning the consolation prizes! Not sure about the chickens. :)

Dawn said...

Well now, the jokes on everyone that didn't want to win the ugly roosters isn't it? Great "consolation" prizes! Blondie is such a sweetheart!
Hugs,
Dawn

xinex said...

I like the roosters because I like unusual things and they are unique. They are so ugly which makes them so cute, I think. How nice of Blondie to give you so many other nice items too....Christine

KBeau said...

Those rooster are, as they say, so ugly they're cute. How thoughtful that she included some consolation prizes.

Sharing with Sherri said...

Hi Sue,

First of all I want to thank you for the sweet happy birthday wish and message!!

Now about those roosters... Honestly, I've seen way uglier! I think they will make a great conversation piece, and with your black and red accents in your kitchen they'll look just fine, and will even add a little whimsey!

Hugs,
Sherri:)

Brenda said...

On second thought, they really aren't as ugly as I'd first thought... But then I won the prize for the tacky comment about them. And she in true good-natured blogger spirit sent me some wonderful gifts too. Nice lady, that one. Love that pitcher!
Brenda

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Ugly is as Ugly does! And I love them...but I have to admit I would not have bought them for my kitchen but maybe to put in the vegetable planters on the deck for spring :) :) And sweet Jane sent you some fun stuff too. It was fun opening them with you Sue. Hope you have a wonderful week. xo

Kathleen said...

Did you have the funeral yet?

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Cute post, Sue!!:-)

Shelia said...

Those yard birds aren't all that ugly! I think their looks would grow on you! Now the extra loot is amazing! I know you're loving them.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Congratulations Sue! All of this doesn't look much like a booby prize to me (even the roosters look pretty good, and I love the sentiment in the nest). You are a brave lady to light a candle in your rooster's nest and proudly display them. laurie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue they are more funny than ugly...lol...and now they will remond you of a wonerful friend! Congratulatiosn of your cute winnings!

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hi Sue!
First -- thanks sooo much for stopping by and saying hi. You are always so welcome and such a delight.

I think those little critters are divine AND I have a GREAT idea... why not pass them along to another Blog sister/ friend. Let them be a little bit like the traveling pants idea. That those little Critters do to a friend who could use some cheering up... or a reward for being wonderful to others.. What ever then, when the NEXT person gets them -- they follow the tradition of telling the Story on THEIR blog and then when the joy and fun has wound down they move on to the new home.

I dont think they should ever be in a closet hid away... look at the joy they brought just by sharing this!

Wow... loved every moment of this!

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

Susie Q said...

You do know how to write a fun post don't ya...I love them! They are too sweet. And I still think that The Sisterhood of the Traveling Roosters is a wonderful idea!
That aqua pitcher is adorable!
Blondie isa hoot and such a sweet lady!
Love,
Sue

Rue said...

Hi Suey.... Ouch! don't throw tomatoes so hard! LOL Susie Q has given me the impression that I'm mad at you two, but I want you to know it's the complete opposite. I sent her an email with a slight break down of what's been going on, so if she hasn't sent it, let me know. It's been ugly, let's just say that much.

Anyway, your win is fabulous and I actually like the roosters :)

Love your kitchen too!

(((hugs)))
rue

marmielu said...

I must agree with Blondie - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder(at least in the area of home dec!) I bet the pair are a nice reminder to you of Blondie's generosity, and that's a good thing. Enjoy all your goodies!
Mary Lou

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! I think they are kinda fun! Or as my mom used to say...they're so ugly, they're cute! And, yes, you should let them stay out for a while! I love all of your goodies...especailly that Sophie Conran pitcher! It's gorgeous! What a generous gift from our Jane! Happy week!...Debbie

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Are they in the closet yet? My hubby would have accidentally knocked them on the floor if they were in my kitchen. But they at least made a great blog post & you got some other cool stuff. With Christmas coming up you could use them as a white elephant gift.

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Such a fun post! Gotta love those ugly roosters!

Jane

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Keep him Sue! He looks all funky and eclectic sitting there and when you get tired of him you can have an ugly rooster giveaway and pass him on! The other gifts are just gorgeous, isn't that Janie such a sweet heart and it pays to enter ugly rooster contests! Hugs, cindy

Nouveau Stitch said...

Wha? You think they're ugly? Obviously you haven't seen my "mail-holding goose" which we use to fend off vampires and/or solicitors. Yay for the Michigan souvenir! We need all the PR we can get here in the Mitten state!

Ellen