Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Juicy and Refreshing Orange…

 

sliced orange

 

Color was the name of the game in many of the showrooms at the International Home Furnishings Market in North Carolina last week, and orange was no exception to the bright palette that showed up in accessories and furniture, alike.

vases

In one accessory showroom, an entire corner of the room was dedicated to the color orange. It showed up in bamboo porcelain vases that were lined up in a row and intermittently accented with red roses. The contemporary glass tray in front of them was accented with brown, black, and gold.

.

decanter table

This buffet is accented with giant glass decanters filled with colored water and anchored by two over-sized vases of decorated with Koi fish. The light blonde wood of the furniture contrasts beautifully against the lively, orange painted wall. I love the recessed round mirror centered within the square frame.

.

wall of orange

These individual vases if varying heights were hung on the wall and filled with miniature carrot sticks and tall floral stems. Branches of leaf-stripped greenery were woven in and out of the vases to add textural interest. What a fun statement they made on the wall- I think I counted at least 40 of them!

.

orange puffs

Designers used a variety of creative fillers for the clear glassware. This jar is filled with one of my favorite snacks- crispy cheese-flavored puff balls. There is no way I could possibly set them out because I would be nibbling them every time I passed by the jar. I think you know what I did to those Halloween candy corn displays in my cloche. They’re almost all gone!

.

lamp, orange wall

I loved the large modern lamp that was displayed in this orange vignette. I found the large shade to be reminiscent of the over-sized lampshades from the sixties. I think a pair of them could make a bold statement in a room filled with just the right furniture.

.

chairs

This furniture showroom used a variety of  bright colors, including orange, to create a colorful display of their chairs.

~~~~

Attending the market gives dealers and designers such a great opportunity to see where the industry is taking its trends. We had a lucrative buying trip, even though we only spent a short time there. We visited some of the store’s existing vendors to see their market  introductions, but we also found some new and exciting accessory lines, as well. Now we just have to wait for them to be shipped into the store over the course of the next few months.

I’ll be showing more pictures of things we ordered in future posts, Including the items I want for my great room and sunroom. I am thrilled that I was able to find exactly the right furnishings for both rooms! I just need to bring home some fabric samples to see how well they coordinate with the wall colors and the lighting.

~~~~

And speaking of colors….. Here are a few shots I took on our drive home. The leaf colors were intense and vivid but these pictures, taken from a moving a vehicle, simply don’t do justice to Mother Nature’s fall splendor.  So use your imagination…

 

 

hill

 

trees

 

tunnel

 

16 comments:

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

Now that's a load of orange, Sue! Some very interesting displays. Love your new front door wreath, looks beautiful!

xoxo
Tina

Susie Q said...

Suey's home!! Glad you went, glad you are home safely and glad it was a good market! All good things!!

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

Sounds like an exciting trip! I can only take so much orange. Strange, I guess, since I love bright colors so. I love orange flowers. I love the colors of fall. But it reminds me of the seventies! And bell bottoms. Bell bottoms don't appeal to me either! Thanks for letting us know the new trends!
Brenda

Lori E said...

My MIL loves orange. In her old house her kitchen cabinets were orange, the tiles in her bathroom and sunken tub were orange and red. She had tons of orange place mats and tablecloths. Accessories too.

Cathy said...

Oh...oh...oh loveing the orange!!! You know how I love it!!! Love your pics!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad you had a safe trip, and your photos of the Fall colors are pretty. I am not an orange person. :) I like it in the Fall, such as pumpkins, leaves, etc.
Glenda
OH! I love crunchy Cheetos - they are orange! :-)

twiceasnicelettering said...

I'll bet you had so much fun!! Orange is the new color and I have none...what's a girl to do? Love all the leaves changing color. It's my favorite time of year to take a drive. It's nature at its best.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh No! I do not have orange in my home! I guess it's a good thing I don't go to market. I'm better off not knowing what I'm doing that is outdated, since I can't afford to change it all out. I can't wait to see your new furniture and the new accessories for the store. You fall photos are stunning. laurie

Kathleen said...

Spare me the orange says this 1970's bride..been there already. Ok in another house, not mine!
Beautiful foliage!
Can't wait to see what you bought!
Glad you had a safe trip and a good time!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....Whoa...that's a lot of orange! My parents had an orange round chair back in the 60's. The color made me think of it Your drive back looked so pretty! Looks like you came up I-77 through the tunnels south of Charleston, WV.....did you drive past Zanesville?~Hugs, Patti

Melissa Miller said...

I just LOVE orange Sue! It's such a warm and happy color. Glad to see it's getting so popular.
This is a really gorgeous posting! ~Wow!

Many blessings my friend, ~Melissa ;)

Jo said...

Thanks so much for posting about my giveaway - wow orange kind of surprised abt that - even more surprised that I rather like it Thank you for posting about my giveaway

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

During the very early 70's, I had an orange/gold/yellow shag carpet. I used orange accents. It was a dark family room with old looking oak paneling, sort of like barnboard and a floor to ceiling stone fireplace. Furniture was gold. Orange must be cycling around.:-)

I loved the leafy photos!

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I love orange! And those trees and countryside are stunning. Living in a 5 year old home in a newly developed area, we don't have the beautiful, old, huge trees around us. I will have to enjoy them through your pictures!

Gwen said...

I have to admit it, orange is growing one me, but I am not there yet. The creativity at shows always amazes me.

Hey, pass those cheese puffs over here will you? I can just picture the dog knocking over the vase to get to them!

Polly said...

Hi Sue! That store looks very cool! Love all those geometric shapes and interesting items! Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I got your message about a blog buddy get together in early November....sounds fun, but I will be traveling during that time frame. If you girls get together another time, please let me know! Thanks, Polly