Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Fallin' Into the Season~ re-post for Julia's Hooked on Houses Fall Tour


Many of you who are my regular readers saw this post last month for Rhoda's fall party, but I thought it would also be appropriate to link to Julia's Hooked on Houses Fall HomeTour Party today. I've removed all of the previous comments to make it easier for any new readers.
I know we can all use a little inspiration from each other, so won’t you please click on Julia's
button or name to be taken to her party. I’m sure we’ll see many inspiring and gorgeous fall decorating ideas!


Autumn is truly my favorite time of the year in Ohio. We have blue skies; the sun shines warm on your face, and there is a crispness to the air. In short, it is the time of year that feels most like home, back in New Mexico.

I love to decorate for fall with the warm colors of the earth~ muddy browns, bright reds, rusty oranges, mossy greens, and sunny yellows. My front door basket is filled with these colors, as is the metal cloche on the table.

entry

door basket

d'fly cloche

This cloche is decorated with two different styles of dragonflies and it has a base of oak leaves. I created a ball of leaves by taking a large Styrofoam ball and layering it with fabric leaves. Then I “planted” it in a clay pot in the middle of the cloche base. It kind of looks like a head of lettuce or cabbage! I surrounded it with dried pomegranates, miniature gourds, artichokes, and oranges. The dragonfly on the side of the table is a garden ornament.

d'fly 2

bench2

I placed an old bench in the small garden area outside the dining room and created a simple vignette with pumpkins and a watering can filled with mums.

IMG_2348 kale

Three potted mums accent an old section of iron fencing, while pansies and flowering kale add contrast to these mums.

grasses




In the front hallway, a vase of feathery ornamental grasses cut from a neighbor’s yard gives some height to a chest placed up against the stairway banisters.

chest 3

buckeyes

acorn

I’ve filled a silver bowl with buckeyes, which are the state nut of Ohio, and I’ve placed a carved, wooden acorn on top of a corrugated silver box.

mirror

I wanted to dress up the leaner mirror in the great room, so I fashioned a bundled twig arrangement and added wheat stalks, grass, and some faux gourds. You can see the burlap skirted table and my Halloween cloche in the mirror’s reflection.

mirror swag

Some of you may have seen the following cloches that I showed for Marty’s party, but since they are part of my fall decorating, here they are again…

dots 2

This is my whimsical Halloween cloche, complete with four candy corn candles, candy corn, and fruit flavored Dots candy. I kept nibbling on the yummy Dots as I put this cloche together. The candy corn that I used to fill the little clay pots, however, was completely inedible. I found it in the pantry, left over from last year’s Halloween candy stash!

candy cloche2

2nd cloche 2

Simple gourds, berries, and leaves.

sunflower2

Sunflowers always say “Fall” to me.

candles

Leaves, acorns, dried oranges, and faux pumpkins surround candles on a tarnished silver tray.

crop s,p

Acorn salt and pepper shakers on a fall-inspired tea towel.

leaves2

Variegated maple leaf candles in a shallow tray filled with dried leaves.

candle

Coffee scented candle surrounded by mini pinecones and pods picked from my side yard.

IMG_2111

I’ve placed these amber colored votives in a wooden bowl filled with putka pods, what most people call mini-pumpkins. Scrabble tiles spell out what I think is the best season of the year.

pumpkins

This basket of ceramic pumpkins. miniature oranges, and fabric leaves graces my cocktail table in the great room.

cornucopia1

I have been looking for a cornucopia for the longest time. When I spotted this at an estate sale several weeks ago, I grabbed it! It came home with me after I paid a dollar for it. I filled it with glass grapes, miniature pumpkins, and gourds and placed it on the kitchen table. The three wooden spools are perfect pumpkin holders.

crow

A sparkly black crow is tied onto the mini pumpkin to dress it up.

.

dining room

In this arrangement in the dining room, a green pumpkin soup tureen is the star of the centerpiece. I elevated it on a cake plate and placed it on a charger made out of fabric grape leaves. Then I intertwined the ceramic pumpkins with faux aspen leaves and copper metal leaves.

tall jar pumpkin jar

Lentils, rice, beans, and split peas are layered in the tall apothecary jar, while pinecones, mini gourds and pumpkins fill the others.

pinecones

t1

I wanted to try another table version, so I used a crystal bowl and two fabric leaf balls to give it a different look. While the crystal brings a touch of elegance, traditional autumn decor gives a homey feel to the table.

bowl

Mr. Sullivan gave me this contemporary Waterford bowl about eight years ago. It is chunky and extremely heavy and is so completely different from the traditional patterns that the company is known for.

lb2

I created this leaf ball in the same way as the one that is in the metal cloche and I set it on top of an estate sale brass candlestick sprayed with an oil rubbed bronze finish.

cs

I think you can see the bronze finish of the candlesticks in this picture. I started to paint them black, but I really like this so much better.

crystal candlestick

Prisms dangle off the bobeche on this crystal candlestick.

1

Same table, but with the corn removed. I think it looks less cluttered.

type cloche

This display holds three typesetting blocks of fall decor. Before the advent of computers, print shops used these type-blocks to set copy for books and newspapers.

type

Can you see the details in the leaves, the acorns, and the bundle of wheat?

b,w

I have a contemporary media room where touches of silver accent the beige and espresso brown furnishings, so I thought it would be fitting to paint some gourds silver, black, and cream. I created a mottled finish by spraying while a fan was blowing on the gourds.

~~~~

Well, I think the interior of the house is almost ready for fall! I hope you’ve enjoyed taking a brief glimpse into how I decorate our home for what we think is the most comfortable season of the year.

22 comments:

Joan said...

You have such taste in decorating. Everything is so well done. I enjoy stopping by.

beth said...

Oh, I just love fall! Your fall decorations are beautiful! I love how you spelled out "fabulous fall" in Scrabble letters. What a cute idea!!

Thanks for visiting my blog, and for the comment. I got the numbers for my door from an Etsy shop. The name of the shop is TextStyle. They're vinyl decals, and were so easy to apply. I love them!!

Have a great day!! Beth. :)

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

How wonderful your home looks, warm with your fall decor!
Janell

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Oh, your home is beautiful! You have so many beautiful fall decorattions! I adore that mirror! Oh, what a beautiful house you have! Thank you for sharing it.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Susie Q said...

I still love it all and never tire of looking at your beautiful home! You have exquisite taste in everything!
Are you all unpacked now??: ) I am so behind in everything it is terrible! I had my nephew all week (sick sitter) so house work went out the window!
Oh well, it will still be waiting on me when I get to it! I am havinnga little give away for my 3rd year anniversary and I posted about our day with Kari too...
Call me when you can...let's get together soon okay??

Love,
Sue

Lou Cinda said...

Beautiful! I love it ALL!!

Your pot of mums and cabbages is so pretty! And I LOVe that vase of fuzzy tall thingy's! So pretty!

Lou Cinda :)

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Hi Sue! Wow what a beautiful home and decor you have. I just love it. Everything looks so fallish and elegant. Wow! I'm glad you asked me to come by for a visit! Fall is probably my favorite time of year...I just can't seem to get enough of it! thanks for a great post.
Blessings,
Debbie

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

I am so glad I stopped by! WHat a fabulous fall decorating you have done!! I adore how you used the old thread spools to display the small pumpkins. I had about 15 or so and sold them before we moved to CO a few years ago and could just kick myself now!

I took out my Scrabble game last week and did a few fall phrases with my vignettes too!

Okay I am so curious!! I thought you were from Ireland when I first saw your header. My dad was first generation Irish and I have always wanted to go there. Then I saw you mentioned New Mexico! I lived in NM till 2 years ago when we moved here to CO. Alamogordo was my home town. May I ask where you lived? Colorado is pretty but I really miss the rustic beauty of my New Mexico- (plus it is not near as cold there!)

blessings
mary

The Texas Woman said...

Wow, that is all gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it all.

cher

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about those leaf balls (crazy isn't it)! I might make two this weekend if I can remember where I put those foam balls I got from the thriftstore!

Manuela

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Oh so many GREAT ideas and beautiful vignettes to inspire me! Yowsa! Thanks for sharing your talents with us. Love it :o)
peace.

Susan said...

Your home looks warm and lovely. May I add you to my partygoers link? I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd like to invite your readers to stop by also. The more the merrier!

I appreciate your kind expression of sympathy.
Do stop by and say hello again.
Blessings!
Susan
http://www.aworkinprogress-susan.blogspot.com

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

This is just stunning! You've outdone yourself, Sue. I'm salivating over every photo. You are truly inspired for the fall season!
Brenda

julie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your home is sooooooooooo lovely. I am just amazed at the beauty we get to experience looking into blogs.

I do hope you will visit again. I will back to see you....julie

the pump pie cake is not originally mine, but I have neen making it for about 25 yrs.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue I love your home and it was fun to see it with it's pretty fall decorations a second time around!

I'm also still in love with that cornucopia. I've looked for one for years, but when I find one they are always too expensive.
Hopefully someday I'll find one like yours.

XO Pat

KBeau said...

Sue, you have beautiful fall things. Love those big old candy corn candles.

I hope you do better at Twitter than I do. I've made only one tweet since joining. I do sometimes post on Facebook. Are you on Facebook, too?

Kelli said...

Positively splendid!!!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I'm falling for your decor! :)

Please stop by and enter my Halloween giveaway.

Balisha said...

Oh, my Lord....This tour through your house was fabulous. You really have a knack for decorating and making it look so natural. Thanks for sharing and brightening our day.
Balisha

Embellished Bayou said...

Fall has definitely arrived at your house! Everything looks fabulous, I just love all your little vignettes, great job!

Bunny Jeans Decor... and More! said...

I loved all the details that you put into your vignettes.

I have those same Candy Corn candles! Mine are 15 yrs. old. I posted about them just the other day... saying that they are so hard, they made it through the last five years in my Texas attic!

Cara said...

Your fall decorations are fabulous! I love your front door decorations and your beautiful red door! I've always wanted a red door, but it just isn't going to work with the red brick we have now. I'm also very inspired by those leaf balls! Gorgeous!