Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Did Someone Say Open Bar?

 

I know there were a few of you who were not taking to some of the contemporary/modern accessories and  pieces of furniture that I showed you from last week’s furniture market. But I wanted to show you a couple more things that I thought were pretty nifty.

 

wine cab.

At first glance I really loved this woven leather wine bar. In fact, I really thought about ordering it for myself, until I realized that what I really needed was a piece of furniture that had a place where I could mix drinks and display my crystal wine carafes.

 

open wine cab.

It had a reasonable amount of storage space for glassware and wine.  But it didn’t quite fit all of my needs.

 

bar

But this cabinet has the storage space that I need AND a flat surface to mix a drink and set out my liquor carafes.  I’d definitely top it with a piece of  heavy glass to protect the leather top.  I’m just not sure it’s quite wide enough for the niche I’m thinking I would place it.  Hmmmm, I may have to think about this one…  I DID order a cool silvered chest  for the store that might work…

What are your thoughts on these two pieces of furniture? Would they fit your style? I think that they are transitional pieces, but are they too contemporary for your own decor? Too impractical for you?  Tell me what you think about something like this for your own home.  I promise to post some more traditional things next time! 

13 comments:

Anne~fiona and twig said...

Not impractical at all! I think it could blend nicely with any decor. What's important is whether YOU love it!
Have a great day and best of luck in my giveaway!
Anne

susan said...

I actually think this would fit nicely with very traditional furniture and does not seem trendy to me. I love the woven leather. I would cover the top with glass as you said. I love seeing the new furniture!

blushing rose said...

They are both lovely pieces altho I wouldn't select either. Have a warm wonderful week. TTFN ~ Marydon

Helen said...

I also love looking at unique pieces ~ and I'm always on the lookout for the 'different' cabinet. I love anything with little drawers, the bigger the better.

I am in Ohio for several days and then on to Washington DC for a meeting. I don't return to OR until the 8th of November, so I'm away a long time. I could return to Winter here as they have already closed down the highway beyond Mt. Bachelor ~ a sure sign it's almost time for the skiers to head up. They have also closed one of the mountain passes .... lots of snow in the mountains already.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

It's not me Sue...But if you love it get it...you should fill your home with what you love anyway...Now show me an antique back bar from an old saloon and I'll drool ha ha!! Hope all is great on your side of the mountain my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Cass @ That Old House said...

I like the woven leather -- it elevates the furniture past the norm, into almost an art form. I think that good design knows no era; you can put a Saarinen table in a country kitchen, or a Chippendale chair in a SoHo loft.

But the woven leather pieces look quite traditional to me; maybe it's the dark leather.

If you love it, it works.
The silvered chest sounds interesting.

Cass
PS Never thought of coffee beans in glass, to hold candles. thanks...brilliant!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Haha .. now I remember what the woven leather reminds me of -- my daughter bought me a beautiful woven leather handbag in a rich cordovan.
It's gorgeous -- Cass

Lori E said...

I am looking for a liquor cabinet too but I thought it through really well and the one I came up with is HUGE but beautiful.
I want my husband to work with our woodworking friend and make it. I'll email you the picture.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Did someone say cocktails???? :)

Remember what I always say: "Mix the old with the New" :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue.....No, it would not be something I would buy for my own home. We all have different home styles and likes and dislikes....if it goes with your home and YOU like it then that is what counts.~Hugs, Patti

farmlady said...

Actually it's one of those pieces that could go in lots of different kinds of homes. Maybe not Shabby Chic..., but because of the leather it has a traditional quality to it. I would prefer the first one because it's higher and easier to access. I would probably put a small table under or near it to use if I were mixing drinks, but for wine it's perfect.

Gwen said...

I would snatch this one up in an instant if I was in the market for a bar. I love the texture of it and it would fit right in with my eclectic tastes.

Dawn said...

I'm not much of a contemporary girl but I do love a good mix of pattern and color so I really like the floral chairs in the other post. I like the woven leather on these pieces but something doesn't seem quite right to me. I think the big boxy tops seem a little out of scale with the lower portion/legs. They seem kinda of top heavy. He,he...look whose talking, I'm a bit out of scale myself!
Hugs,
Dawn