Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

This Red’s for You….

 

I’ve had several requests to show my red wallpapered kitchen, and because Gloria @ Happy to Be  asked so very sweetly~  honey, this red is for you…

I chose this red, scrolled paper because I felt it had a bit of the French country feel to  it. I have always loved wallpaper and would much rather hang it than paint. I have a very difficult time trying to keep paint splatters off the woodwork, the ceiling line, and myself. I obviously don’t have a steady hand.  And I cannot abide seeing lines of paint on the walls, so I sometimes end up painting a wall two or three times just to eliminate them. I think professional painters call them “holidays.”  So, instead, I wallpaper.  

As you enter the kitchen from the great room, my half-round checkered table is on the right. A stained black shelf with a bead board back hangs above it and it’s decorated with keys and door knobs.  This shelf used to be in the downstairs bathroom, but I re-appropriated it. The wall in the bathroom is still bare, but I’m waiting for the perfect thing to go call my name and  tell me it belongs there.  I think some of you may know how that goes, don’t you? 

  black shelf

 

table

I just love this half-round table. I never could figure out why no one had bought it from Mr. Sullivan’s store. Guess it was just meant to be mine…

 

view to hutch

The island has a Jennaire cooktop that is original to the house. When we remodel I’d like to replace it with one of those Electralux cooktops that spokesperson Kelly Ripa does commercials for.  It’s the one where the top stays cool to the touch because only the cookware gets hot.  I think mine is a bear to keep clean. I have to wait for it to cool down to wipe it  and if food gets burned on, I have to use a blade scraper to clean it. Then, I use a glass cleaner on the entire thing so it’s shiny.  Give me a gas stove any day!  The only advantage to the Jennaire is that I don’t have to have a vent hood.

 

island 

This is the view looking from the opposite side of the island towards the only long run of cabinetry that I have. I never had a window over my sink before moving into this house. I love to look out and see the trees and wildlife as I perform that drudgery chore of doing dishes. Actually, I don’t mind washing, it’s the drying and putting them away that is the chore. I try to hand that job off to Mr. Sullivan whenever I can. He IS pretty good about helping, I must say.  I like to keep my dish towels and napkins in the tiered basket- that way they’re always handy.

 

 

 cabinet run

I only have one long run of cabinetry. It runs from this corner to the refrigerator on the left.  The cabinets were glazed as a temporary fix until we can update the kitchen. The idea was to make them look old and grungy with wear.  If you were looking closely, you will have seen that I moved my birdhouse and the canisters.  I wonder how many of you caught that….

original finish

The picture above shows the original color of the wood. This finish made for a dark, dreary kitchen, don’t you think? I’m so glad we lightened it up with the glazing process.

 

IMG_2005

My wine-inspired French style clock.

 

 

canisters

I love the different patterns on my canisters.  Why only three, you ask?  Flour, sugar, and chocolates… Need I say more?

 

There are two shelves on either side of the window above the sink. I use them to display pretties.

shelf

I’ve started to acquire tea pots of all different shapes, but mostly in white and off-white. The sugar bowl  above is one I found a few weeks ago in a yard sale. There are cut glass covered bowls on each of the shelves.

 

shelf 2

The green sugar bowl above has a matching tea pot that I keep in one of the guest rooms.

 

 

hutch

My black painted hutch contrasts so well against all of the red. I recently re-covered the chair seats to tie the two pieces of furniture together. They were originally white, which made for a lot of cleanups.

 

 

plate 4       plate 3 

 

I like simple white dishes because they go with everything. I’ve placed one set of them on the hutch.  To add another touch of color, I’ve placed four luncheon sized plates on the top shelf. You can see that I’m continuing the wine theme on this side of the room, too.

plate 1       plate 2

 

 

pitcher 4

Even the top of the refrigerator is not immune to being dressed. Two pieces of silver, a basket, and some wine bottles top this surface.

 

 

Having a small number of cabinets within the kitchen could make for a very bad storage problem. Fortunately, I have two large pantries in which to store my food and the overflow of dishes and cookware.

 

pantry

I keep my canned and dry goods in this pantry.     And yes, that is my purse hanging from the chair….

 

food pantry

 

         Do you think it might just be a little full? 

          I think this is due for a little re-arranging…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1953 

Extra sets of dishes and cookware occupy this pantry.

 

 

 dish pantry

           How did I accumulate all this stuff?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We estimated that the storage room in both pantries is equivalent to having 11 extra cabinets! That would have taken up a lot more wall space that we just don’t have.

 

hallway

This hallway connects the garage to the kitchen, the laundry room, and a bathroom.

 

softened cloche3

This console stores excess bar glasses.

blackboard                                              

An old blackboard from an Indiana schoolhouse helps me remember what’s going on in our lives.

k 1

Some of you may have noticed that the rooster decor is now gone.  I get tired of it, take it down, but when the whim strikes, I put it out again.  Only the clock remains, because I’ve got to know what time it is!

So there’s my kitchen in all its red entirety, Gloria.  It’s not gourmet, but it’s comfortable and functional.  It’s cheery and bright, and most of all~ I like it. 

RubySlippers1.jpgmorris copy I’ve linked up with Mary @ Work of the Poet for Ruby Tuesday.

41 comments:

Eaton Bennett said...

Hi Sue, a lovely home full of Red,s and interesting items and a glimpse into your world. :)

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely kitchen with us! I love the contrast of the red against all of your black touches. Beautiful!

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

Sue, your kitchen wallpaper is fabulous. I really love it! Your kitchen is lovely, warm and inviting! I love it!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Dawn said...

Sue, please excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard! Just love it all! When I chose wallpaper for my kitchen I had a sample up of a dark red with small white roses. I absolutely loved it but let others opinions sway me and went with a more neutral paper. I'd give anything to find that paper again. I usually trust my instinct and everyone loves it. I don't know why I didn't that time.
Dawn

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH Sue!
I am so in love with your red kitchen and dining area~ What a fabulous wonderful and delightful place! The colors are wonderful, the decor is super, love it all! Cindy

Twice as Nice said...

You have a very pretty kitchen. Love the extra pantry storage. The fabric looks great on the kitchen chairs too.
You can have the cook top Kelly advertises, I'll take her body. HA Is she a little spit or what?

Marla said...

Sue your home is so lovely. I love the feel of your kitchen very homey and french country. I love French country, I think the wall paper and the new cabinet color really make it. I also like the mix of the black cabinet and the wood stained table and chairs. The black material on the chairs ties it all in together. I am considering a mix of my Oak China cabinet with either a black or greenish gel stain on my table and chairs. I just don't have it in me to cover up my beautiful oak china cabinet, that my husband gave me on our anniversary several years ago, but I would like to change up the table and chairs which aren't a match set anyway. Thanks for visiting me and I hope you'll visit my blog again. Marla

Stacey said...

I want those pantries! You know I always fuss over that wallpaper. It's beautiful and makes the perfect backdrop for your decor. You have a lovely kitchen.

I really like your little tables. You are lucky to have the furniture access that you have. I want to find some little tables like that but don't actually hang out in furniture stores much.

Hootin' Anni said...

Love, love it!!! Such a wonderful country charm!!!

My RT is posted, I do hope you can find some time to visit---------

Lori E said...

When you say a piece calls to you I know exactly what you mean. I always hear my name being called by the great pieces you guys have in your blogs.
"Come and get me Lori that is what they yell. Save me and take me to your home. We want to live with you in Canada."
My whole kitchen is about the size of your two pantries combined. When I remodeled I doubled my cupboard space and I still don't have enough room to store half of my stuff like appliances and roasting pans.

Frippery said...

Just beautiful!

Jo said...

What a great room! Thanks for taking us on a tour

Brenda said...

I like how you "reappropriate." The cabinets look sooo much better lighter. I seriously dig that half round table. How is it, you think, that no one found it as intriguing as we do? And I can tell you right now how you accumulate all that stuff. I do believe it's called "weekend sales!" (I'm just jealous over last week's haul...)
Brenda

Cass @ That Old House said...

This is a beautiful kitchen! Warm and well loved, and lovely too. The wallpaper is gorgeous; I love wallpaper but my husband LOATHES hanging it, so at this house we have only paint. (sigh).
Can you tell me what you did to your kitchen cabinets to glaze them? Ours look much like your "before" picture inside the door, and I'd love to tone them down and age them. They are only 5 years old, so I can't justify replacing them, but ... not nuts about them.

BTW your canisters? Flour, sugar, chocolate -- add coffee and you've got all the basic food groups. :-)
Lovely post! Cass

~~Carol~~ said...

Oh my goodness, girl, I love the red wallpaper and your kitchen! I hate to cook, but I think I would actually enjoy cooking in there! And call me crazy, but that pantry is pretty exciting to me, because I don't have one!
Happy first day of fall!
Carol

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I love red! What a great kitchen! I would have snapped up that half round table - so cute! Love the big rooster clock! I go in and out with roosters too. I'm drawn to them yet I don't really like having too many in one room!

Manuela

Susie Q said...

Sue's kitchen (and all of her house!) is just as beautiful as can be!! I have had the pleasure of being in this wonderful space and I LOVE it! She just has a knack for decorating and putting it all together. AND I am crazy about her wall paper!! See the black board on the hallway wall? I LOVE that piece!! Aw heck. I love everything about this kitchen, especially the lady who works in it!!

Love,
Sue

Gwen said...

Oh Sue! I love that wallpaper and the glaze of your cabinets with it is so perfect.

I would kill for pantries like yours. Okay, maybe not kill, but I would think about it.

marmielu said...

Hi, Sue! Your kitchen looks wonderful! I just love to have a window over the sink! That was a thrill for me when we moved into a home with one. I'd grown up with one, and didn't realize how much I missed it.
Mary Lou

Betty's corner of the world said...

Hi Sue ... I just love your beautiful red and black kitchen ..it's soo rich and warm ... I looked at every inch hoping some of your talent would rub off on me ..I too love wallpaper and I have papered almost every room in my house ..back in the day ..but now I'm a little too 'elderly' to climb up the ladders to my nine foot ceilings .. or I would also have a red papered kitchen ... did you also refinish the chairs to match your cabinets? .. they look so nice ..I would just keep them the way they are. ..thanks again for your hospitality ... to put it in one word ..."BEAUTIFUL".
Hugz ...Betty

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OMG Sue I'm doing my Happy Dance girl!!! Oooooh your kitchen is is awesome girl...I ♥ that wall paper and all your wonderful decorating touches are just beautiful my friend...Love the black you added to the chairs and oh girl I'll give you my first born for those pantry's how great are they...WOW!! what a special home you have and that black board is to die for...and that checked table...how lucky for you that no one bought it because its sure looks great in your home...And Sue I had that Jenn aire stove I had it put into my apartment in the back when I got my old new one in 96 and everyone that rents the place just loves it...and your so right can't beat gas for cooking...thats one thing I have missed since moving to the mountains...we can't get gas here because its a fire danger...Oh girl thank you so much for sharing this wonderful kitchen with us all...maybe I would even enjoy cooking if I had this...No on second thought I would rather have a cook and a clean up person...How great that your hubby will help out...And Sue with all those dishes you should do a TT even if there no Food on them ha ha!!I had someone ask me if I really used those tables I set...Right I scream at Len every night to get his tray so he can eat in his chair in front of the TV ha ha!! Again thank you so much your the best girl...May you have a great week my friend....Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh just me again...girl I just got 4 rolls of beadboard wall paper for my laundry room and hallway...I can't stay away from it either...I do love the stuff ha ha!! until I have to tear it off..but you know I leave it up over 10 years before I change it out...Hope to get started this week with my new paper...Len said he'll do the wood trim for me and paint the rest...I can't push him too much on painting tho as he just got done yesterday painting the outside of the house for me...any way I'm leaving now ha ha!!! Thanks again...Love ya sis....Gl♥ria

Joyce said...

Oh your kitchen is lovely. Two pantry spaces must be like heaven.
Joyce

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I like it too! That wall paper is so pretty, and the black furniture and your black pattern on the chair cushions look spectacular with it. I so agree with you - pantries are the way to go. I love being able to just close the door when I don't want to see the mess (believe me, mine is more disorganized and crowded than yours!). laurie

Anne said...

Your kitchen is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Sue-- its been a bit since I have stopped by and never am i disappointed.

Lovely lovely kitchen. Your style is inspiring.

If you get a chance please stop by and say hi!

TTFN~~Claudia ♥ ♥

Sharing with Sherri said...

Sue!! I love your kitchen!! I know I've already told you that I love your wallpaper... Please would you tell me how, and what products and colors you, used to transform your cabinets! I've been wanting to redo my cabinets and I LOVE how yours turned out!
Did you use paint first to cover the wood grain then glaze over the paint?

After seeing your black painted hutch too, you've got me wanting to paint mine as well!!

You've just done such a beautiful job on all your remodeling...I'm really impressed!!

Hugs,
Sherri:)

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Sue, I love your red wallpaper and your French country kitchen! The glazed cabinets really makes your kitchen lighter and brighter. That's exactly what I did to ours, too. A little paint and glaze can go a long way to update a kitchen. Yours looks fantastic!

Jane

KBeau said...

The red wallpaper is beautiful. My last kitchen was red, and it was so cheerful. I think every home needs at least a touch of red. I have a similar wallpaper in my powder room.

Lou Cinda said...

I could have sworn I left a message on here yesterday! I LOVE this wallpaper!! Love it!! I have some that I adore and my girlfriend keeps telling me not to put it up, but I am going too!! Your kitchen is gorgeous!!

Lou Cinda

alice said...

Sue,
I love the cabinet color. It looks great with the red paper. Darling kitchen all the way around.
smiles, alice

SmilingSally said...

How nicely your kitchen is! I especially like that pantry storage.

Bellamere Cottage said...

Oh goodness...........where do I start? I love, love, love your kitchen. It's HUGE!...you lucky gal. Your cabinets are just lovely...so much prettier than their former color. Did you do that yourselves? They're sooo pretty. I have the same little white teapot with the little scalloped edge too. :-)....Love the colors too. It's so homey and cheery, just like you!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Spencer

Sue said...

Hi Sue...how have I missed your blog? All the ladies are over here commenting!! I saw you over at Susie Q's.....love the red kitchen..I love all things red...I just picked up wonderful red handled silverware at Target...I especially loved your name written out with Scrabble letters...that is so clever...
Sue @ Rue Mouffetard in Atlanta Georgia..

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Sue~I've just strolled into your blog for my first visit...I've enjoyed taking a peek at your past posts. What beauty! You've got so many wonderful treasures.
We share similar taste for so many of the same design elements. I love the richness of the red scroll wallpaper. I too have incorporated red into my decor.

The one thing that can cheer me up as I watch summer come to a close is... the anticipation of fall and all the autumnal colors that come with it. The warmth it adds to my home.

I've bookmarked you in my favs.
I look forward to coming by your charming blog again.
Come by for a visit. Your company would be nice.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Unseen Rajasthan said...

You have got a lovely home !! Great Post !!Unseen Rajasthan

Kathy said...

Sue - I LOVE your kitchen. You'll have to tell me how that glazing process works - I really want to give my cabinets a facelift - and yours are beautiful.

Also, wanted to let you know that you have been awarded the "Honest Scrap Award", so you'll need to stop by my blog to get the scoop! :)

Hugs, Kathy

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Sue,
You have a beautiful kitchen. I love the glazed cabinets. What a fabulous fix until you can remodel. But why would you want to, your kitchen is great as it. You are so lucky to have the pantries. I wish I had one. You ought to see how much kitchen stuff I have. Thanks for sharing your kitchen with us. I love the breakfast area as well.
Kim

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!!

I'm finally getting around slowly to visit everyone, I'm so behind! Thanks for stopping by and wishing Wes a happy! He's handling 60 quite well LOL

This post is so touching, I just love it Sue. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story with us.
I believe I've heard that expression also and never really knew the meaning.

Oh how I love your kitchen!! I adore all the wall angles and places to have such adorable things. It looks so big & functional. I really like what you did to the cabinets. It's a perfect coloring for the red & black you have in there. I don't know if I would replace them now with that cool finish. It's such a warm enveloping space Sue. Hope I get to see it in person one of these days!

I started a new job- will have to email you about it.

Great finds at the flea market! The sundae dishes are adorable. You were looking for some when we were shopping weren't you? Nice nice finds!

Have a great week sweet friend! hugs, Sherry

hungeryjack said...

Nice post - french country wallpaper ..Keep Posting


Ron
french country wallpaper - 1024×768
FreeWallpapers

hungeryjack said...

Nice post - wood grain wallpaper ..Keep Posting


Ron
wood grain wallpaper - 1024×768
FreeWallpapers