Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Remember the Date and Honor Those Who Serve….

 

I don't think any of us will ever forget what we were doing on that eventful day of September 11, 2001. We, as a nation, must never forget the attack upon our soil and the lives that were lost in the attack and in the aftermath.

We had a real wake-up call eight years ago, and it showed us our vulnerability. We are still not immune to future terrorist attacks in any shape or form.  We count on our military forces for protection, and it is only fitting that we honor and pay tribute to those who  are willing to put their lives on the line to help protect the freedom that we Americans have come to take for granted.

Our lives will never quite be the same after the attacks of eight years ago, and we must continue to protect ourselves at any cost. Unfortunately, that takes its toll on the members of the military, most of whom are young men and women.  When I first saw this video and the campaign to show gratitude to  members of the military, I vowed to make this small attempt at any time I could, to thank all who serve in our armed forces. I’ve done it in the airport and in shopping malls. And although it felt a bit awkward for me the first few times I did it, I know it did not go unnoticed and  it was appreciated by the service men and women to whom it was addressed.

To those who have suffered the effects of the indignities of the war on terrorism, I thank you. To those who continue to join the ranks of the brave men and women who serve  in the many capacities that help protect the freedom of this country, I thank you, too.  Bravery is not limited to the combat field.

Won’t you take a moment out of your lives to honor  a member of the military in some way or the other the next time you see him/her in public?   It doesn’t have to be a salute. Walk up to them and just thank them for their service. Any  gesture you make  will not only make that person feel appreciated, but it might make their service to you seem just a little closer to home.

 

12 comments:

tales from an oc cottage said...

Great post.

m ^..^

Lori E said...

Canada's thoughts are with your country today.

blushing rose said...

Never to forget. We have an in-law in the buildings that collapsed, her tales of horror are deafening. Another in-law was in the air, his plane was landed within seconds in the middle of the USA. We had a friend that was sitting at a desk where the Pentagon was hit directly, who was severely burned & seen on TV running out of that hole ... God bless them all. Have a lovely weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Well said!~Patti

Bellamere Cottage said...

Oh Sweet Sue....so well said. And, I do thank our military men and women regularly. We live very near two military bases so we have lots of opportunities. My little grandson knows I always say thank you.....so when he sees any of those fabulous folks when we're out and about he'll always say...."Hemma.....look to the left....you need to say thank you".....God bless them. I am so grateful.

Big hugs!
Spencer

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Wonderful post my friend...God Bless our Nation...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

xinex said...

Thank you for the reminder, Sue. I am one of the guilty one who wants to say "Thank you" but never does because I am too shy. Next time, I will do it with that gesture..Christine

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I loved the video. I posted it on my family blog as well as that is the blog that I posted about 9/11 on. Thanks for sharing it on yours so I could share it on mine.

Alicia said...

Thank you so much for sharing this video with us today. I had not heard of this campaign so I'm glad that we can all move it along as I plan to post it on my blog as well.

My son's bestfriend is in the military and he came to visit me a few months ago at my office while he was home on leave. When he left, my co-worker stood up and ran after him in the hall and hugged him and said, "Thank you for serving our country". There were tears in her eyes and mine.

I know we can't hug them all, although being mothers we wish we could, but at least now we know how to thank them with a gesture that is both dignified and from the heart.

Linda K. said...

Love this, Sue. One can never forget.

Linda

Rhondi said...

Hi Sue
I always thank anyone in the military when I see them. They are always appreciative. I know a person who pays for their meal if she sees any in a restaurant.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wonderful post Sue! I've had the opportunity to applaud soldiers I've seen in JFK airport in NYC twice. So many stop and join in. The sadness of 9-11 will always be with us as we lost amny friends but so much good has coem from that terribel day too --so many have taken up the spirit of voluteerism and have helped to make the world a better place.

Hugs, Pat