Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday and a Walk in the Park

 

Saturday was a beautiful day last week and it was the perfect morning for visiting friends, Rick and Kim, to take a short walk with me before they continued on their trip to Akron from their home in Florida.

We live only four houses away from a small park that is taken care of by the township’s park and recreation  department.  The area is mostly grassy - soccer leagues use it for their practices.

A few years ago, a picnic area and a basketball court were built, as well as two swing sets.  I’m not quite sure what this piece of equipment below is called. You hang onto a handle and zip from one side of the rail to the other. Kinda like a mini zip-line without the cable!  

IMG_1477

Here you see Rick hanging upside down as he traversed from one side to the other.  We girls didn’t try it…

 

IMG_1475

Kim  was trying real hard to get going on this swing. She had to get a boost into it by Rick. She’s a petite little thing, so it took quite a few pumps before she was sailing through the air.

 

flowers

These flowers line the property line of one of the houses that border the park from a cul-de-sac behind it.

 

bee in flower

Bees were busy buzzing around the flowers looking for nectar. I caught this one in mid-flight. I think he was coming towards me to try and scare me off!

 

maple tree

We still have many warm days ahead of us here in southwest Ohio. We’ve had a taste of cooler weather, but we can expect some heat for a while to come. Some of the trees have stopped their production of chlorophyll and my back yard is beginning to fill with falling leaves. It’s my favorite time of year, reminding me of home in New Mexico.  Now if I could only have the smell of burning pinon wood coming from the fireplace!

I’m linking this post with Southern Daydreamer for  Outdoor Wednesday.  Thanks, Susan, for hosting this party.

Won’t you stop by to see what the other participants are sharing today?

 

image5

21 comments:

Mumzie said...

Hi Sue,
Wonderful post! I love how you captured the bee in flight...it's not easy task. The park is very nice, and to have it so close is a wonderful treat. Your tree is gorgeous, such brilliant colors. Our tree leafs have not yet begun to turn, but by next month we too will have some leaves on our lawns here in CA. Have a great day my friend. Mumzie :)

grey like snuffie said...

Great post...that tree is so beautiful..we have not yet begun to see much color in our little world.

JLS Hall (Joysweb) said...

Lovely shots, and that one of the bee in flight is amazing! Don't think I would have been brave enough to stay there and aim the camera! And even though I hate to see the summer end, your tree with its autumn leaves is really beautiful.

Frippery said...

Beautiful photos and post. We haven't had any changing leaves yet here. So glad to see the bees seem to be coming back!

Lori E said...

I haven't been on a swing in years and don't think my butt would fit.
The pink flowers are an Obedient plant. It is called this because you can turn the little tubes in different directions and it kind of stays. Make sure there isn't a bee in one when you reposition it.
The tree is gorgeous. I love the fall.

prof en retraite said...

Hi Sue! What a cool park! My grandson would love the zip contraption! YOur pics of the flowers are lovely!...Debbie

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Such a fun post!! Great photos! Happy ODW.

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

How fun! You know, we all have a turn at the gliding thing (I don't know what it's called) when we walk the dog in the park. Then my husband usually has to do a few chin ups on the monkey bars (show off)!

Manuela

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sue,
We are just starting some color on our trees, you're ahead of us! I loved the park pics, it looks so relaxing! Hugs, Cindy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

If this post is not a prime example of life at it's best...I don't know what is. Simple pleasures in life...wonderful!!!
Mona

Gwen said...

I want to go on a swing!

Mary said...

Isn't the company of friends wonderful. Your photos are terrific. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Housewife Savant said...

I miss the colorful maples of Northern Wisconsin (but not the cold temperatures.)
It's some crazy irony that autumn is my favorite season in Southern Illinois, where there's very little color. It's blessed relief from the hot summer, but it's bland.

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, you kids!!!

I love that big maple tree! How pretty. Looks like leaves are changing by you. Not here yet. Soon, I know.

Come by my blog...you've won something!!

xoxo
Janie

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....I have noticed a few trees starting to change...seems so early! Your pictures are lovely of the pretty flowers! I have heard from everyone how pretty is was in Ohio last Saturday since you know it rained most of the day in St. Louis!~Patti

Deana said...

Hi Sue! What a beautiful day. Looks like you all had a fun time!

Brenda said...

Leaves are falling here as well. Got a little pond full of them! He's sure braver than I am!
Brenda

ellen b. said...

Hi Sue! What fun. I enjoy watching other people hanging upside down :0)
Love the fall color on the tree!

Kathleen said...

I can't believe your trees have changed already!! We are still all green and summery here..
Park looks beautiful!

mbkatc230 said...

I love the photo of the bee! Great shot. Looks like you had a fun visit with you friends. We are losing alot of leaves here also, but I'm afraid it's from the drought. It's certainly not from cooler temps lol. Have a great week. Kathy

Sharing with Sherri said...

Ahhhh, frolicking in the park in the cool fall weather! How fun!
We had a couple of cool weather days here, but it didn't last long unfortunately!

Great post Sue!

Hugs, Sherri:)