Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

It’s not time for the last hurrah, quite yet…

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb

 Rhoda is back from the beach and is hosting Thrifty Treasures once again. So why don’t you you stop on over to see everyone has found to add to their own treasure troves….

~~~~~

I had been thinking that the lack of  yard and estate sales over the past few weeks was due to the fact that fall was fast approaching and most people had already had their sales earlier in the season. But after last week and the proliferation of sales that were held, I’ve come to the conclusion that the procrastinators who didn’t hold their sales earlier in the summer are now rushing to get their sales in before the weather changes.  I don’t think we’ve seen the last hurrah quite yet.

Last week Mr. Sullivan and I hit some interesting estate and yard sales. He started accompanying me a few weeks ago to see what the yard sale hoopla was all about, but he was feeling a disappointed because we never found much of anything. Estate sale prices were high and yard sales didn’t seem to yield anything but a few bargains. He kept saying that homeowners valued their junk too highly!  But last week we hit the what he called the mother lode of sales.

We hit an estate sale where we encountered a few things I can re-purpose or  paint.  I told Mr. Sullivan to look past the “ugly” and not to shake his head at me like he kept doing! These two prints are Spanish Rococo and not quite to my taste. But once I spray paint the frames and  perhaps add some toile fabric, they will look much better to me. 

pair of pics                          

The pair was a bargain at $2.00 each.

 

 

candlesticks I plan on painting these candlesticks black  and using them in a Halloween tablescape.

 

 

compotes

I loved these footed compotes/candy dishes. I’ve placed Halloween candy in one of them. But it probably won’t last for very long…..   I am a bit of a chocoholic!

 

 

server

The heavy ladle called to me when I saw this $6.50 silver server.  Nothing flimsy, here.  I can see some tasty sauces being served out of this dish.  Think I can avoid curdling the hollandaise?

 

 

sundae cups

These eight sundae cups were full of dust and hiding in a basement storage cupboard. I don’t think anyone would ever have thought to look for glassware in there.  I paid $3.50 for the lot of them.  I’ll be serving hot fudge brownie sundaes in them tonight.

 

 

ladder

I’ve been needing a five foot ladder ever since I fell off my wobbly, old one  and it got smashed to pieces.  So what do I find hiding in the corner behind the above named cupboard? A sturdy $2.00 wood ladder.  Mr. Sullivan checked it out personally and it withstood the test with flying colors. I don’t care how paint splattered it is -  that shows character!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

butter pats

I think these might be butter pats, but I’m not sure because I’ve never seen them in silver. What do you think- is this what they are?  I found six of them for $4.00.

 

 

I took him to an estate sale I had gone to the day before, hoping that a set of wicker furniture  I had liked was still there. I hadn’t wanted to pay the price they were asking, even though I know now that it wasn’t really priced that badly. I took the chance that it would still be there and I could get it for 25% off on the second day, but I was, as the saying goes- a day late and a dollar short!  Well, I actually had more money in my pocket to spend since I  didn’t buy the wicker!

 

bowl

We looked at all the left overs and I found this large Pyrex bowl. It’s the perfect size for mixing cakes and cookie dough.  I paid $4.00 for it.

 

gavel

Mr. Sullivan loved this $1.00 wooden gavel and he placed it in the study when we got home.

 

spindles

I’m using these three spindles in a tabletop display in the kitchen. You’ll see them when I post for Rhoda’s  fall decorating party in October.

 

Before we went home, we stopped at a yard sale where two men were manning the fort. Seems that the wives had gone to a garage sale down the street. The homeowner was quite willing to deal on prices and I think I made some good bargains on the few things that I bought.

 

johnson  bros, plate

This Johnson Bros. plate is gorgeous.  The gentleman let me have it for a dollar.

 

plate back

 

 

bakers

    These bakers were fifty cents each. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

blue plate

I decided I want to do an entire section of wall with blue and white plates, so this  $3.00 10-inch floral will begin my collection. 

 

 

rooster

If Barb at Bella Vista ever decides to host another rooster party, I’ll be ready with this small plate that I got for  fifty cents.

 

I’ m so glad that Mr. Sullivan finally got to see what fun it it is to unearth treasures at estate sales. I told you he had caught the bug for yard sales a few weeks back, and I know that he isn’t looking forward to them ending anytime soon.  Just wait til I tell him about auctions!!

36 comments:

Gwen said...

So is Mr. Sullivan going to turn into a judge or auctioneer with that gavel? He can have his own version of court, let's call it the DIY Court.

I oohed and awed over those baroque style frames! Repainted and with something new in them, they will be gorgeous.

You found such great loot. It was a pretty dry week here.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, fun Sue! You really got some great stuff. I'm glad you got back out there. I'm sure we will have some good ones into Oct. too & I may go to them. Probably will. In fact, I need to have my own, so that is a must for me to do. I've just got so much stuff, it's hard to justify dragging more things home when I don't have a place for everything now. thanks for playing!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Sue, I've gotta tell you, I love that gavel - what fun - order in the court! You got some wonderful bargains for sure! Linda

randee said...

great finds. the johnson bros. plate is beautiful.

went to the country living fair this weekend & they were selling little birds nests on those little silver thingies that you bought. they looked so sweet.

Its So Very Cheri said...

Be sure to come by tonight around 9pm (Eastern time) for the announcement so you don't miss out. I promise-it good-really really good.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

tales from an oc cottage said...

The BIG YELLOW BOWL!!!!!! Oh my gosh!!!! That bowl has reached mythical proportions in our family! Great find!!



m ^..^

Kammy said...

I like I like and I like ! You guys did great - you have a great hubby partner !!
Kammy

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Let's see now....I think my favorites are the sundae glasses and the Mr's gavel. That gavel would be cool just setting on top of a pile of old books. :) Have a great week Sue. xo Lynn

Sharing with Sherri said...

You've got a real treasure trove of goodies here Sue! Great idea to paint those brass candlesticks black! I had a neat old candlestick and some other things too, that I painted with my new favorite spray paint color that I discovered from Kammy @Small House in the Country it's...Krylon's Oil rubbed bronze,a satin metallic. It's very dark brown with a hint of metallic in it.

Anyway, I love the antique wooden bobbins you found! I've wanted some of those for a loooong time! You lucky girl! Those will make a nice addition one of your fall displays!

Love the Johnson Bros. plate too! I found an oval serving bowl in that pattern at G/W. that pattern is beautiful!!

I have no idea what those 6 round silver plates are but I can picture them maybe with some pretty fall scrapbook paper on them, and a letter on each plate spelling out the word "AUTUMN". Thats 6 letters right?

Or I"m sure You'll come up with something creative to use them for!

Have fun playing and decorating with all your pretties!!

Oh and I'll be over later for desert! Hot fudge Brownie Sundae's YUMMMMM!

hugs,
Sherri:)

Adrienne said...

LOL! I bet those ladies won't leave their garage sale goodies to their hubbies again :) that johnson brothers plate is gorgeous, and for a dollar! woo hoo! you found lots of things that i would have picked up myself.

Wendy said...

You really found some great things! Those frames will look fabulous redone. I love the spools, I really need to find some of those!

DH gets in the mood to go every now and then, I wish it was more often!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

A $1 for that gorgeous JB plate! I am so coveting that plate! You got so many really nice things. Love the pyrex and those frames are going to look soooo fabulous once you paint them. They have such great detail that will only improve with some paint!

Manuela

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I am So envious of ALL of your finds this week!! :) The sundae cups are pretty neat...I'd love to have something like that for parties. :) Great job!! Visiting from Rhoda's party today. :)

Brenda said...

Oh my, the big yellow bowl! I'd have snapped that up in a New York minute. And all those other pretties. My word, I'd have been beside myself. Good to deal when the wives are gone. The men just want to get it over with on those garage sales. The mister will be banging that gavel when he's adamant about something! You did good, girl. I'm jealous as I can be!
Brenda

Twice as Nice said...

Talk about getting the mother load! You got a lot of great deals. Good for you. I love your hubby's gavel.

Lori E said...

You snagged some real deals Ethel. I really do have to get into these sales. I find on the weekends I just don't get out there early enough. Now if they want to start them during the week I'll be there at 6:15 because I am always ready to leave the house by then.
I have one of those old spindles. I thought I could put a very thin taper candle in mine but I can't find one thin enough to fit. I'll have to just put a larger one on top with some stick-um. I look forward to seeing what you are doing with yours.

Kelee said...

Great pyrex bowl and sweet plaques!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....Love all your finds at the estate sale! Lots of treasures! I really love that Johnson's Brothers plate for cheap!~Hugs, Patti

Sharlotte said...

Wow! You did hit great sales! The dishes you found are beautiful. I love the crystal too ~ footed candy dishes will be gorgeous with your other pieces. I can't wait to see what you're going to do with your wooden spools. I have one and have no idea. Mine looks so lonely!

Thanks for sharing.

dawgyah said...

Lot's of nice finds. I love estate sales because you can see things as they were displayed in a home, not laying out in the driveway.

Alicia said...

I love the little ladder. All that paint shows he's a hard worker and he'll be working hard for you as well. Thanks for sharing, you found so many lovely things. *sigh* I would have loved to be there for the hot fudge sundaes.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

You found some great deals! I LOVE the Johnson Bros plate!! and the blue and white plate is just beautiful!

Dawn said...

Oh, the dishes always get me! Love the Johnson brohters plate. Bet the wife wasn't too happy about that price when she got back. And I'm really curious which wall the blue plates are going on. I have mine in my red dining room and boy do they pop off that wall!
Dawn

Rita @ Goodwill Haunting said...

I love the plates ... and what great prices! Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with the candlesticks and spindles!

Housewife Savant said...

If I used the word thriftgasmic would you think I'm a pig?
If I CONFESS to being a pig (occasionally) can use the word thriftgasmic?
Cuz that's a dang funny word.
And this is a great HAUL.
I love the spindles, the compotes, the ornate frames. (I have bunches. What to do?)
The silver server is gorgeous. The crowned jewel, methinks.
Good job Sue.

janet said...

Omg...love the stemmed compote dishes and that Johnston Bros plate is to die for!!!!!

gina @ The Tickle Pink Thrift said...

omg! sooo many wonderful finds. where to beign? I love the ladder, the spindles and well EVERYTHING you found. {darling}

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

OH! I was going to pick something to tell you I loved but honestly these are ALL such great things how can I pick? What great deals you got! And you got such terrific things, all of them... I don't know if they are butter pats either.. and yes, I think they normally arent silver...but they are terrific!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Sue you found some wonderful things!! I'm looking forward to your fall post, at Rhoda's.

myrepurposedlife.blogspot.com said...

wow! great stuff and really great prices!
way to go!
gail

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Great stuff! Love the compotes and the dessert dishes. Great plates, too.

Jane

Balisha said...

Gosh...you found so many pretties. I love the platter.

Susie Q said...

I am totally coveting that plate. I tried to hide it under my shirt whike in your bathroom but it didn't work. *grin* Your finds are amazing but what you Do with them is totally genius! I love your home!!
Love,
Sue

decorator to the stars said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG, STOP BY & SAY HI :) I'M FROM OHIO ALSO GIO

Kathleen said...

So I guess I hadn't found you yet..or just missed this!
I love all your finds. I would have bought everything you did except for the ladder..have that!
I'd love to shop with you! (and I don't like to shop with many people...they don't get down on the floor with me at Home Goods clearance) :)

nurazzah8 said...

Hi Sue, I'm Azzah from Malaysia...just found your blog here while googling for Johnson Bros treasures... I love all your findings... you are lucky coz in your country people are always host what you call 'garage sales', estate sale, etc... and sometime you can get nice things for cheap price...we don't have that kind og things here...
I really love that JB's plate...
do you want to sell it to me? ...plsss...

Thank You...