Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Wish You Enough…

 

This is an exerpt from an e-mail  I recently received from an old high school friend. I had heard the expression before, and just didn’t quite know what to make of it. This gives me a little more insight on its meaning.

I wish you enough!

Recently I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said, “I love you, and I wish you enough.”

The daughter replied,  “Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom.”

They kissed and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see she wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on her privacy, but she welcomed me in by asking, “Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?”

“Yes, I have,” I replied.”  Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?”

“I am old, and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral,” she said.

'”When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, ‘I wish you enough.’ May I ask what that means?”

She began to smile. “That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone.” She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and she smiled even more. “When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.”

Then turning toward me, she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory.

         I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more..

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

 She then began to cry and walked away.

 

TAKE TIME TO LIVE.....     To all my friends,  I WISH YOU ENOUGH.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them; but then an entire life to forget them.        

                                                                                 

24 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Sue, I wish you enough....May you have a blessed and great weekend my dear friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Jo said...

Thanks for posting this - I never heard the comment before - it was an inspirational one. One of the things that will roll around in my head for the next few days...........I too wish you enough............Jo

susan said...

Sue- I have read this before but had not seen it in a while. It is a good reminder for me that life is really about our attitude and what we do with what we are given.

Helen said...

Sue, thank you so much for posting this awesome message! Something for all of us to consider.

Lori E said...

This is a great way to start my day. Thanks Ethel.

Gwen said...

Darn it, you made me tear up. I wish everyone enough:)

xinex said...

Hi Sue, What a beautiful story! I wish you enough too, my friend! Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love everything about it, from the storage, the cabinets, the wallpaper, the furniture, the colors, everything! I don't know why it is not allowing me to post in your kitchen post. I am still looking for your cloche post.

Jo said...

I read this before and it is so true! Thank you for reminding us.

Have a wonderful weekend ~
Jo

Frippery said...

I received this from a friend a few months ago. So beautiful. I wish you enough as well Sue.

Kathy said...

and I YOU my friend...xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue

This was so lovely! I wish you enough too.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Hugs, Pat

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue...You must have been there for that lady for a reason. She needed someone to talk to and you were there. She also gave you something inspirational to think about too...thanks for the wonderful story and I wish you the same!~Patti

blushing rose said...

G'morn, Sue ~ Every time this hits the internet I cry. It is an awesome write.

TY for your sweet wishes on my birthday. That Sherry is something else again.

Have a beautiful week. TTFN ~ Marydon

Amy said...

Hi Sue~
I am new to your blog and had to tell you how much I enjoyed this post!
I had never heard that saying before.
What a beautiful story and I wish you the same!
Amy~
BTW I think we are from the same neck o the woods ;p

Balisha said...

I too wish you enough, Sue. I received this same thing in an email. It's easy to forget how very blessed we are.
Love, Balisha

Libby Murphy said...

I wish you more. Have a most blessed week and thanks for sharing this with us all. I've read it before, but it's sure worth a second time.
Happy Twirls

Lou Cinda said...

This was a beautiful post and it made me cry! This is so, so true!!

I wish you enough too, my friend...

Lou Cinda

Sharing with Sherri said...

I had never heard this before Sue, and it was just what I needed to hear right now...

I was feeling kinda down about not being able to have the new things that I'd really like to have...

But I do have all I really "need", and I'm grateful for that!

Thanks,
have a wonderful week!
Sherri:)

dana said...

Hi Sue! Thanks for sharing that lovely post. I, too, wish you enough!!

OMG! I LOVE your kitchen (featured on your previous post!) The wall paper and all of the wonderful furniture and accessories are just gorgeous. However, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those two magnificent and overflowing pantries the MOST! What a lucky gal you are to have those storage spaces!

I'm still recovering from our tag sale. . . and gearing up for a sale in two weeks. Whew, I think I'm getting a bit too old for this craziness!

Have a great week! Dana

Sue said...

Hi Sue...so glad I'm not the only one that blubbered when I read this....Whenever I go home from visiting the daughter I always break down at the airport and I always say to husband that what if we never get to see her again....I don't know why I always think that....beautiful post...so glad I found your blog...Another Sue.

Kathy said...

Sue - what a great post - I wish you enough as well!

Kathy

Dawn said...

Hi Sue,
Very touching story. You can't see the rainbow without the rain!
Hug,
Dawn

Anne said...

Sue, I wish you enough to! Thanks for sharing that e-mail with all of us. It's a nice one to pass along. Have a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard that before....it's beautiful !!!

I have a lump in my throat after reading this post...

I wish you enough....

Kathy :)