Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Forging a new friendship…

 

kathy, me 

I had the extreme pleasure of meeting another blogging friend yesterday while Mr. Sullivan and I attended the Springfield Extravaganza. This flea market and antique show is one of the largest in the midwest - and in May and September, over 2000 vendors gather to sell their wares - from yard sale finds to fine antiques - and LOTS of stuff in between.

Kathy Stantz, from Sylvia’s Vintage Daughter, and I have been chatting back and forth for the past few months. She is from Mansfield, Ohio, about a two and a half -hour drive from me here in south Dayton.  Between our busy schedules, we just didn’t have the time to connect over the summer. When she announced that she and her friend, Terri, would be doing the Springfield show, I knew that would be the most opportune time for us to meet, since Mr. Sullivan and I had already made plans to go to the show.

Kathy was expecting me sometime during the course of the weekend, and we’ve seen each other’s pictures on our blogs, but when I walked up to her booth, she turned to me with an expression of surprise and questioned, “Sue?”   I said yes, we hugged, and we laughed.  Mr. Sullivan looked on and probably wondered why we were carrying on as we were, but he related later that he thought it was really neat that two people could come together like this!  Kathy introduced me to Terri her “partner in junk”  for their booth, Nostalgia’s Cottage. We exchanged stories and and just chatted in between the times where she was helping the many customers who were enamored with her merchandise.  Realizing we need a less distracting atmosphere where we can get to know each other even better, we decided that we should get together again next month. Gee, that’s coming up real soon! LOL kathy, terry, me

There was so much to see and touch in her booth! If I had been blessed with an unlimited amount of funds, I would have spent a lot more money than I did! Kathy is a voracious thrifter and crafter. She finds things at yard and estate sales and often re-purposes her junk into clever and practical things.  You can see many of her talented make-overs and re-do’s by clicking on her blog name above.

 

 jewelry There were numerous items of jewelry fashioned by both girls. There were pieces of silver, enamelware, old diner dishes, painted furniture pieces, collages, and so much more.

 

booth 2

booth 3 I wish I had bought this cute little curio cabinet- it was so reasonably priced.  When we came by the booth later in the day, I saw it had been sold. Darn, why did I hesitate? Lesson learned - BUY IT WHILE YOU CAN!!! 

 

 aqua drainer A hot item I saw in many booths were aqua-colored dish drainers. If my color scheme would have accommodated it, I definitely would have bought this beauty.

~~~~~

My plan is to show you my purchases tomorrow. I have tons to do today- finish a bit of laundry, clean up a messy house, get ready for a dinner party I’m hosting, and then try to take a minute for myself!   Stop on over to  see Kathy’s blog, say hi, and tell her Sue sent you over.  She’s a clever one, that girl!  And I’m glad to call her my new friend.

14 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Sue! I have wanted to connect with a fellow blogger or two for a long time ... how wonderful you were able to do it.

OK, now you have motivated me to drive 16 miles to the huge antique barn today ~ I feel a bargain coming on!

Lori E said...

Sounds like a great day Sue. I have met a few bloggers and they were just like they seemed on their sites. Super ladies.
I look forward to seeing your purchases. Everything in her booth looked interesting.

Florida Sue said...

Ethel this is so darn cool! I would love to run into you some day. Everything here looks so nice, I can't wait to see what you purchased. BTY.. You look so pretty and happy in the photo.

XOLucySue

~~Carol~~ said...

How exciting to meet your bloggie friend in person! And it looks like she had some fantastic things in her booth. Going to check out her blog right now!
Have a great weekend!
Carol

Frippery said...

Hi Sue, We didn't make it to Springfield as we had planned. I met Kathy briefly last year when we had a space at Springfield as well. She has some awesome stuff and I love her blog. How nice for you to have met. We also wanted to hit the Country Living Fair but things just didn't work out. Can't wait to see all your goodies! Pam

{ L } said...

How special! And I wish I could POP right over to that flea market!! Looks like a lot of goodies and fun times.

Kathy said...

How fun Sue, I would love to meet everyone we blog with!!! wouldn't that be a great day!, God Bless, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Dawn said...

What fun! I'm so glad you two got together. Meeting other bloggers is such a nice treat. Looks like she has a great booth too. Can't wait to see what you bought.
Dawn

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Sue, I would have loved to have been there. How fun to meet another blogger, and how fun to go to that wonderful event! I'm jealous! I can't wait to see what you bought. laurie

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sweet Sue!

Everything looks absolutely delicious!! So glad you got to meet another blogger - what fun! looks like you had a great time.... wish I could have been there... sigh...

Big hugs, Sherry

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue...Glad you finally hooked up with her! Saturday was absolutely beautiful day for a flea market wasn't it! I would have loved to have gone to it but I had a wedding to go to and I have been nursing a pinched nerve in my neck. I haven't felt like doing anything!~Hugs, Patti

Kathy said...

Hey there girlfriend (and I mean that!!!) - what a great post you did on our bloggy meeting - in the whirlwind of Springfield. It was awesome meeting you and Murphy!! What a great guy - so patient! (a perfect junker's husband)! :)

Can't wait to get together again - glad you had fun at Springfield - it is the BEST show! On Sunday they announced that they had a record-setting crowd - that's awesome!

And, hey...wish I would have had my sunglasses on in the first pic... ha ha!! :) Thanks so much for sharing our booth with your blogging friends! Hope to see you all in the spring!!

Take care, Kathy

P.S. We'll be at the Scott Antique Market in Columbus - Thanksgiving weekend...hint, hint!

P.S.S. And, yes...it was friends at first sight!

Gretchen said...

Enjoyed your post on Kathy's vendor booth. I met her late this summer when she came to a Junk Market Style contributor gathering here in Minnesota. I instantly felt like a sister with her and think she rocks! So glad you are closer, so that you can continue to forge your relationship with Kathy. She's an awesome gal.
Gretchen
http://mimitoriasdesigns.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

Cool!