Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Nesting Party for Fall

 

click to linkinspired room party

It’s a  Fall Nesting Party over at Melissa’s blog, The Inspired Room, and she wants us to share what inspires us for Fall!  I’d like to show you  how I decorated for the season in this re-post from last year.  Melissa will be celebrating autumn throughout the entire month of October since she is “absolutely nuts about fall.” 

edited on 10-8-10

 

common ground 

click to link

    I’m also  linking with  Vintage Inspiration Friday at Debra’s blog, Common Ground. Please stop over to see what could inspire you!

Some of you may remember this post, but it’s an opportunity for those of you who are new to my blog, or those of you who may have missed it,  to see what I like to do. Hope you have fun seeing it!

 

Autumn is truly my favorite time of the year in Ohio.  We have blue skies; the sun shines warm on your face; and there is a definite crispness to the air.  In short, it is the time of year that feels most like home, back in New Mexico.

I love to decorate for fall with the warm colors of the earth~ muddy browns, bright reds, rusty oranges, mossy greens, and sunny yellows. My front door basket is filled with these colors, as is the metal cloche on the table.  

entry

door basket

 

 

d'fly cloche

This cloche is decorated with two different styles of dragonflies and it has a base of oak leaves.  I created a ball of leaves by taking a  large Styrofoam ball and layering it with fabric leaves. Then I “planted” it in a clay pot in the middle of the cloche base.  It kind of looks like a head of lettuce or cabbage!  I surrounded it with dried pomegranates, miniature gourds, artichokes, and  oranges.  The dragonfly on the side of the table is a garden ornament.

d'fly 2

 

bench2 

I placed an old bench in the small garden area outside the dining room and created a simple vignette with pumpkins and a watering can filled with mums.

 

IMG_2348          kale

Three potted mums accent an old section of iron fencing, while pansies and flowering kale add contrast to these mums.

 

grasses

 

 

In the front hallway, a vase of feathery ornamental  grasses cut from a neighbor’s yard gives some height to a chest placed up against the stairway banisters.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

chest 3

buckeyes 

  acorn

I’ve filled a silver bowl with buckeyes, which are the state nut of Ohio, and I’ve placed a carved, wooden acorn on top of a corrugated silver box.

 

mirror

I wanted to dress up the leaner mirror in the great room, so I fashioned a bundled twig arrangement and added wheat stalks, grass, and some faux gourds.  You can see the burlap skirted table and my Halloween cloche in the mirror’s reflection.

mirror swag

 

Some of you may have seen the following cloches that I showed for Marty’s party, but since they are part of my fall decorating, here they are again…

dots 2

This is my whimsical Halloween cloche, complete with four candy corn candles, candy corn, and fruit flavored Dots candy.  I kept nibbling on the yummy Dots as I put this cloche together. The candy corn that I used to fill the little clay pots, however, was completely inedible. I found it in the pantry, left over from last year’s Halloween candy stash!

 candy cloche2

 

 

2nd cloche 2

Simple gourds, berries, and leaves.

 

sunflower2

Sunflowers always say “Fall” to me.

 

candles

Leaves, acorns, dried oranges, and faux  pumpkins surround candles on a tarnished silver tray. 

 

crop s,p

Acorn salt and pepper shakers on a fall-inspired tea towel.

 

 

leaves2 

Variegated maple leaf candles in a shallow tray filled with dried leaves.

 

candle

Coffee scented candle surrounded by mini pinecones and pods picked from my side yard.

 

IMG_2111

I’ve placed these amber colored votives in a wooden bowl filled with putka pods, what most people call mini-pumpkins. Scrabble tiles spell out what I think is the best season of the year.

 

pumpkins

This basket of ceramic pumpkins. miniature oranges, and fabric leaves graces my cocktail table in the great room.

 

cornucopia1

I have been looking for a cornucopia for the longest time. When I spotted this at an estate sale several weeks ago, I grabbed it! It came home with me after I paid a dollar for it.  I filled it with glass grapes, miniature pumpkins, and gourds and placed it on the kitchen table. The three wooden spools are perfect pumpkin holders.

 

crow

A sparkly black crow is tied onto the mini pumpkin to dress it up.

.

dining room

In this arrangement in the dining room, a green pumpkin soup tureen is the star of the centerpiece. I elevated it on a cake plate and placed it on a charger made out of fabric grape leaves. Then I intertwined the ceramic pumpkins with faux aspen leaves and copper metal leaves.

 

tall jar                  pumpkin jar

Lentils, rice, beans, and split peas are layered in the tall apothecary jar, while pinecones, mini gourds and pumpkins fill the others.

pinecones

 

 

 

 

t1 

I wanted to try another table version, so I used a crystal bowl and two fabric leaf balls to give it a different look. While the crystal brings a touch of elegance, traditional autumn decor gives a homey feel to the table.

bowl

Mr. Sullivan gave me this contemporary Waterford bowl about eight years ago. It is chunky and extremely heavy and is so completely different from the traditional patterns that the company is known for.

 

 

lb2

I created this leaf ball in the same way as the one that is in the metal cloche and I set it on top of an estate sale brass candlestick sprayed with an oil rubbed bronze finish.

cs

I think you can see the bronze finish of the candlesticks in this picture. I started to paint them black, but I really like this so much better.

 

crystal candlestick

Prisms dangle off the bobeche on this crystal candlestick.

 

 

 

1

Same table, but with the corn removed. I think it looks less cluttered.

     

 

 

type cloche

This display holds three typesetting blocks of fall decor. Before the advent of computers, print shops used these type-face blocks to set copy for books and newspapers.

type

Can you see the details in the leaves, the acorns, and the bundle of wheat?

 

 

b,w

I have a contemporary media room where touches of silver accent the beige and espresso brown furnishings, so I thought it would be fitting to paint some gourds silver, black, and cream. I created a mottled  finish by spraying while a fan was blowing on the gourds.

 

~~~~

Hope you’ve enjoyed taking a glimpse into how I decorate our home for what we think is the most comfortable season of the year. 

91 comments:

Jo said...

Fall is in the air! I love your decorations ~ I need to get busy. The large acorns are wonderful and your front entry is so welcoming.

Enjoy your new beauty ~
Jo

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

This entire post is eye candy! Sue, it's gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing it all. I especially love the pods (mini pumpkins) and your dining room table is inspiring. Beautiful as always!

Jenglamgirl said...

WOW" I love it all, and I am so glad i stopped by. You are so ready for fall. I want some of your cloche jars, you have so many fab. ones. Thanks for showing your fabulous fall displays!

Lori E said...

Well Ethel you are in charge of decorating when we are all on the lam. Fabulous (I know people think this makes no sense but I know you get it)
You have the coolest accessories. I had to go back a couple times but I can't pick a favorite. I love them all.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!

Your home looks so gorgeous all dressed for fall! I love fall too and the thought of hot soups & fires in the fireplace and those completely incredible colors that God figured out how to achieve in the leaves!! Thanks for sharing all your pretties with us, I love to see how everyone decorates and take such great peeks into their homes.

Warm fall hugs, Sherry

Still wishing you enough!

blushing rose said...

I can inhale now ... this is GORGEOUS! You have a real elegant eye ...

Have a lovely autumn eve. TTFN ~Marydon

Jo said...

I need to have you come to my house and decorate! I've been rather remiss in decorating. I think you might have inspired me

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

It's all beautiful! Happy Fall, Sue!

Stacey said...

Sue, you have knocked my socks off! Your home is beautiful for fall. You have some really unique ideas that I will try my best to copy. :)

farmlady said...

Well, this is just beautiful! I need to do a little redecorating soon. You're making us all look like slackers. Hope you're going to have a party.
Your scrabble letters say it all...

xinex said...

Your fall decorations are so pretty, Sue! I love all your cloches espeically the dragonfly one. Your front door is so inviting! ....Christine

Frippery said...

Very inspiring! That mirror is awesome! I guess I better get moving on the fall dec!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

I just found your blog and am so glad I did! Your decorations are amazing! Everything is beautiful! ...great inspirations!

I got that same email you have listed in your previous post, about "enough." Very touching! :) ~Rhonda

FOR THE SAKE OF TIME said...

Your fall decorating just is amazing! I love the leaf balls. What a creative idea!

Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Charla

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue!
I love all your autumn decorations and my absolute favorite is the cornucopia! I've always wanted one too! I love how you decorated it.

Kathleen said...

Sue, it looks like you are ready for company!! What time should I be there?
It all looks gorgeous..just perfect! If I eat a piece of candy corn will it ruin the symmetry? :)

I could have used your acorn s and p's for my tablescape tonight...
Mr. Sullivan has good taste..the bowl is beautiful..But we knew he had good taste when he found you!

Dawn said...

Your fall decorations are beautiful Sue. I love all the long neck squash you used. They always look like ducks to me!

Has your neighbor come to terms with the little white, iron gate?

If you ever make it out to get your son's things you can come by and write your name in the attic dust!

Hugs,
Dawn

bj said...

WOW...you really have some beautiful fall decorations. Everything looks just fabulous and I am so loving the white gate!

Allison said...

Your flowers and pumpkins look great. I also love the white gate.

Marianne@Songbirdisnesting said...

Wow you sure don't hold back with the seasonal decorations! Love all the cloches, envy them in fact.

northern cottage said...

Your house is looking mighty.....yummy!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So many pretty decorations. I need to go back and take another look. You really did good!

Gourmet Candles Distributor said...

What a beautiful display of fall decor. Nothing like a good scented candle as I enjoy many fall scents this time of year such as my pumpkin cheesecake one.

Hopeful Helpmate said...

Absolutley Stunning!

rtgaffney said...

Your home looks incredible. I am so in the mood to decorate for Fall now. I don't have many decorations though because I haven't normally had much time to do Fall. I'm excited and I'm sooo gonna copy some of your great ideas!!

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

What lovely fall vignettes you have! I especially love your entry. It's so welcoming and inviting. Thanks so much for sharing such inspiration with all of us in blogland! Please stop by and see my fall decor as well. Isn't this fall party fun?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Wow, Sue, you outdid yourself!! I love every single thing, it must have taken you a week to get all that done. So gorgeous. Love the Scrabble tiles and really....everything. There are too many pretty things to even list them all. It is exploding Fall at your house! Thanks for joining the party.

Lou Cinda said...

Sue this is ALL so beuatiful!!! Love the cloches!! The pumpkins and pine cones and all those earthy tones just make me yearn for cool nights and fires in the fireplace! Your home is beautiful!! Simply beautiful!! I LOVE your taste and style!!

Have a great day!!

Lou Cinda :)

Mrs. G said...

I am so coming back later when I have more time to devour this fabulous post of yours.

Housewife Savant said...

I bow to your awesomnicity Sue!
Usually I comment on my favs, but you hit the ball outta the park with these vignettes. Too many "Ooo"s and "Ahh"s to pick any favs.
Awesome for sure.

Lou Cinda said...

I am a legal secretary so I hate it when I look and made a typo ~ correction ~ beautiful!!!

Now, I feel better ;)

Lou Cinda

Amanda said...

oh my!!! what lovely pictures! pure eye candy. Your home is lovely

June said...

I love your decorations! The front porch/door area is my favorite!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! You are ALL Fall-ed out! It's all so lovely...each thing prettier than the last, but I have to say the wire cloche and the sparkly blackbird just speak to my heart!
PS I was born in Columbus, OH and grew up in Albuquerque NM. Small world, isn't it?

Marie said...

Hello sweet Sue - I'm lovin' all your Fall inspiration! My fave is the decor at the front door. So beautiful and inviting! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

common ground said...

Hi Sue, You have so many wonderful fall goodies! I love how you put together the "leaf balls". Great idea, and your home is beautiful. the little bench in your yard is my favorite!
Debra

Dining Delight said...

Just "happened" across your blog from a link posted by Cuisine Kathleen and WOW! I'm having my morning coffee and must rush off to work now but I'll be back to drool over all your beautiful decorations! Love it!

DD

Chari said...

Hi Sue...

Ohhh my goodness, Girlfriend...your home is absolutely beautiful...inside and out! You've been busy getting everything all dressed in its fall finery! I love your entryway...such a pretty wreath and you know that I just adore your wire cloche...I would like to try my hand at some of the autumn leaf balls...gorgeous!!! Ohhh...and I just love your little wooden bench with the pumpkins!!!

I don't even know where to begin with your interior autumn decor...you have really outdone yourself, my friend! It's all soooo beautiful! By the way...your entryway cabinet is gorgeous...love that! And I love how you've decorated it for autumn...love the tall vase with the wispy grass...beautiful!!! Also really like how you decorated your table...the apothecary jar vignette is my favorite!!! Sue, you home is soooo beautiful...I guess this may be the first time that I've really taken a look around...I love your style, my friend!!! Thank you so much for sharing all of your fall pretties with us today...this was such a treat for me!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

niartist said...

Oh this is just beautiful! Definitely a fantastic way to ring in fall! Thanks for sharing! Oh, and if you're going to be doing any spooky Halloween decor, stop by my blog for a how-to and a giveaway! I hope you can! :)

Bellamere Cottage said...

Sue!!!!!!!!!! You certainly have found your calling with the home arranging! You are FAB-U-LOUS!!! Wow, what a lot or work to do all those positively delish vignettes. Everything looks so cozy. Yeah, I won't be showing any pix of fall from the cottage. I'll be in the sewing room!

Big hugs!
Spencer

marie said...

Your home is lovely and your beautiful fall decor is the icing on the cake!

Some of my favorites touches are the bobbins holding the little pumpkins, the acorns, typeset blocks (love this one a bunch) and the sparkly crow. The cloche displays are wonderful too. Thanks for sharing - and thank you for visiting my blog today!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Oh wow! LOVE everything... I was going to tell you my favorite but I couldn't pick one! Beautiful...
~Whitney

Heidi said...

HI Sue,
Everything is really lovely! You haven't missed a spot, and Fall really shines at your place! It looks great, I esp. like the apothecary jars, and the dining room table is very pretty.

I won't put my scary stuff out until one week before Halloween - I love the way everything looks right now, and soon enough it's time to think about Christmas decorating! yikes!
Hope you can stop by for a visit,
Heidi - Heart and Home

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for stopping by. I got the white pumpkins at Michaels last year on sale. The large acorns I bought at a great store in Franklin, TN,, called PD's. Love that Place - full of home decor and at reasonable prices. I hope to make a trip to Franklin this month.

KBeau said...

Wow. There's so much to take in. It's all breathtaking. I especially like the feathery stuff from the variegated ribbon grass. I have some of that growing, and I love to use that stuff in arrangements. I think it gets even prettier when it dries out and gets really fuzzy.

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Sue,
Oh my goodness…..I can truly say I love everything you’ve done. What a great inspiration to get off my booty and put out my Fall décor. You did a wonderful job!!!!

http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Lovely- I Think my favorite is the bench, but then it's hard to say it all looked beautiful

Half of the Style Sisters said...

Wow!! amazing decorations and tons of ideas! Thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Susie Q said...

Wow! Look at you missy with your 46 comments already! : ) They all know, what I know, that YOU have a gorgeous home and a real talent for design! Your home has the elegance that I wish I had but it is also warm and inviting! A perfect combination!
LOVE it all, but then, you already knew that!
Love,
The *Un~elegant Sue*!!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Sue,
You have given us such fabulous inspiration!!! I love everything. But I think I like the vignette on the old bench the best. But everywhere we look is such eye candy.
Kim

Alicia said...

Hi Sue,
I loved each and every picture, especially the shallow bowl filled with leaves and your fabric leaf balls, you'll have to do a tutorial on those, I would love to make one! I also grabbed your button. Have a wonderful fall!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I really like those leaf balls that you made! They look like leaf cabbage roses! If I find some leaves I may try making one too!

All your decorations look great! Love the silvered gourds!

Manuela

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

oh my goodness! you have tons of cute fall decor! Love the acorn s & P shakers and those stamps!!

Andrea said...

I love your fall decorations - so pretty! I love those leaf balls, will have to keep that in mind for next Fall ;)

Katie said...

I love the leaf balls. You have a beautiful home.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Be still my heart! I love SO many things I can't even list them all! Nice work!!!

sweetjeanette said...

I'm sighing a contented sigh... I just love it. It's so inviting...and beautiful! I just wish we had a real fall here in Florida! LOL.

come see me sometime...I'd be thrilled!

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

The Tablescaper said...

Wow!
That's a lot of decorating! Love, love, love your leaf balls. What a terrific idea.
I also love all of your cloches.
I got those candy corn Dots too! They just looked like they were filled with inspiration. I think mine will land on top of cup cakes.
Thanks so much for sharing all of your ideas.

- The Tablescaper

Mimi said...

AWESOME!

Julie said...

I love your fall decorations ...
xoxo
Julie

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

WOW...you have soooo many wonderful items...love all of it...fav is the candycorn...it's really yummy looking! HAPPY FALL Sue!

Blessings,
Linda

Marla said...

Sue, Your fall decorations are so simple and elegant. I love every single setting! Marla

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Happy Fall, Sue! It's all just so festive and fallish! You have shared so many ideas that I'd love to store away for a future time.

Kathleen said...

Oh yes, I am talking about you on my blog....are your ears ringing??

Tina said...

I love all that you have done. The pictures are very inspiring and I am ready to go do some more decorating myself now!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Twice as Nice said...

Hello, We're back!! I just love the basket on your door. Did you do that yourself? I have always wanted a wire cloche but haven't been able to find one. Your acorn is ADORABLE! That is a statement in itself. I had never heard of or seen a flowering kale. I was looking at it and wondering what the heck it was. I love it and it really looks great with the mums. Wonderful fall decorations in and outside of your home. Have a great weekend. The Twins

The DIY Show Off said...

Wow! What beautiful fall decor eye candy! Your entire home and fall touches are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

Roeshel

summur braley said...

Oh my goodness you are one talented lady! Hope you have a blessed fall.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I came via Debra...love your decor...

Nice to meet you....

Happy Fall,
Kathy :)
jokaj@comcast.net

Sarah said...

Sue, you have so many lovely fall accents around your home. What a treat for the eyes! I so enjoyed my visit. ~ Sarah

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Wow, Sue, I love all your fall decorations! Your house looks gorgeous! Your tour was such a wonderful fall treat!

Jane

Southern Fried Gal said...

Your home is beautifully dressed for fall! I think the spools as candle holders are genius!

Cathy said...

Wow!!! Wow!!! You are amazing!!! Your fall decor is GORGEOUS and you have done sooo much!!! Absolutely beautiful and well worth the effort!!! I could never pick a favorite among all of these stunning vignettes...wonderful!!!

Happy Fall!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Anonymous said...

so beautiful all your decorations and I can tell you love the fall...and PUMPKINS...to boot. I loved the letter press blocks in the cloche. something like that speaks to me.

http://theheartoftheseahome.typepad.com/

Adrienne said...

Everything looks so very pretty Sue. I believe I love the garden vignette the best, especially the vivid orange mums in the watering can!

Rue said...

I never get any comments... isn't that what you said a few months ago?? LOL

Great talking to you today sweet friend :)

xoxo,
rue

Tardevil said...

Of all the homes I've visited on various fall tours, yours has the best decor I've seen so far. Love the fall bench and all the interior vignettes. Especially, the mirror swag and leaf thingies on the candlesticks.

Petie said...

WOW! Where do I begin? You have sooo many great fall decor ideas. I really like the scrabble tile idea for any season/holiday. Love the block stamps and ALL of your beautifully decorated cloches....very cool. Tks for more inspiration :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

There is so much to comment on - everything is beautiful!

Susie Q said...

Look at you comment Queen! They all see what I already have, that your home is beautiful and you are warm and gracious. I am blessed to know you and to have spent time in your gorgeous home. It is stunning!
Love,
Sue, the chubby one.

Wander said...

Gorgeous! I'm feeling that yummy fall feeling here in Indiana too!
Time to get busy decorating! :)

Green Willow Pond said...

This has to be my favorite fall post I've seen. Your arrangements are absolutely stunning. They look like displays right out of a upscale botique!

You must have a huge house...I don't think I have that many flat surfaces in my home to display so much LOL! Plus between a dog, cat and two boys, I wouldn't dare use that much glass...but it sure is gorgeous!

Richella said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty--everything is just lovely! My favorite is the little stool on the front porch--everything on and around it looks smashing!

Your bowl of buckeyes brought fond memories of taking "Nature Walks" with my boys when they were little. One of our neighbors' sidewalks was always covered with buckeyes--they didn't mind at all for us to gather some! :)

the cape on the corner said...

oh my goodness, this is all fantastic. some of my favorites are your candy corn display, the mini pumpkin display, and the bench outside. i am awed by your attention to detail.

dogsmom said...

I wish I had all day to enjoy every inch of your blog over and over.
If I am able to capture a sliver of your creativity my world will be more beautiful.. and fun.

Debra@Common Ground said...

I so remember this post of your front porch and yard, because this bench is wonderful!!! Thanks so much for linking up to VIF today!!
xo,
Debra

Linda said...

Beautiful fall decor, Sue! My favorite is the little bench and watering can!

Tammy said...

Sue- I love all the ghourds and beautiful bench! you are such a pro!!
Tammy :-)

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

What a Beautiful Home ~ Your all set till Thanksgiving.... Your photos are wonderful, Thanks for Sharing
Cheryl

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

What a great post. I love the flowers with the flowering kale, one of my favorite fall items.
I also spotted the wooden spools on the dining table, great touch.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Wow! You went all out - it looks fantastic! My favorite outdoor decoration is those gorgeous mums & the kale....this year we got some Kale & LOVE it mixed in with everything!