Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Squinting my way to a great sale…..

 

 Well, I never made it to the longest yard sale on Friday, as  planned, so I settled for some yard sale-ing here in town. I got up early Saturday morning, had my cup of coffee, read the ads on Craig’s List and in the newspaper, and set off to see what I could find.

My first stop yielded my best finds of the day. It was an unplanned stop- I hadn’t mapped it out on my list because silly me had completely missed it in the newspaper ad! I was tooling up Far Hills Ave.when I happened to glance down at the newspaper laying on the seat. When I saw the street name for this sale, I knew I had to hit it.  And even better, it was a “Make an Offer” sale!

Now being able to read the ad was in itself was a bit of  a miracle, because these eyes of mine aren’t seeing small print very well anymore!  At least I was stopped at a light, so no one was harmed as I squinted and put the paper at arm’s length to read it.  I think I better start looking for some fashionable reading glasses…. *grin* 

As I pulled up to the house, I could tell immediately that this was not a junky sale.  Nope, not at all. There were bird houses, cloches, new craft items, glassware, lamps, and more.  I was drawn to the floral garlands and wreaths.

 

bittersweet

 

Such pretty colors, but no prices…  “How much?” I asked. The reply was make an offer. “How about a dollar apiece?” I asked.  To which she replied, “They’re yours.”

 I’ll probably put these bittersweet garlands and the mums into a large basket with some white pumpkins next month. The weather has to start cooling off before it starts feeling like the fall. 

 

 

 

 

gourds

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

These large  ( about 14 inches tall ) gourds will look pretty in a fall vignette. Again, a dollar apiece.  They were originally purchased in a specialty store in Waynesville, OH  for the price of $32.00 each. The tags were still on the bottoms of the gourds, and I saw them in the store, too. Now  WHO in their right mind would ever pay that amount of money for dried veggies?!  Not me!!

   

 

 

 

 

lavender wreath

 

 

 

These lavender colored swags will be perfect for a spring decorating project. $ 1.00 each.

 

 

 

 

 

 

birdhouse 

 

 

This $1.00 bird house is nestled in a tree outside my dining room. Even though it’s too late to attract new tenants, it still looks kinda cute.

 

 

I made a few more purchases at this sale, but I’m waiting to unveil them at the upcoming rooster and cloche parties.

 

After this sale, I drove to a few more others in Kettering  and some in Oakwood.  While I saw a lot of things that were really nice, I was selective in what I bought. I saw gorgeous Waverly valances on decorative rods for $3.00 each, but nothing went with my decor.  There were pretty Baldwin brass candlesticks and sconces, but I haven’t used much brass for a long time.  But when I saw the pretty linens at one sale, I kinda went nutty.  I have a large dining room table and it is rare to find quality linens in a 120 in. length. But I can often find 70 in. or 90 in. round cloths, which are perfect for my kitchen table.   

 

IMG_0920

This Quaker Lace beauty was brand new and still in its unopened, original packaging.  It can be used everyday or gussied up for a more formal table setting.  I paid $2.00 for it.

A green wreath ( another $1.00 find )  from the first yard sale encircles a $1.oo vase filled with lemons and limes. The vase is elevated on a lazy Susan that I purchased last week for  $3.00.

                                lazy susan 1      

   IMG_0930

     

 

IMG_0931

 

 

 

vase        

 

 

IMG_0933

This $6.00 tablecloth is embellished with green vines and bright colored flowers. I didn’t get a chance to iron out the wrinkles, but you get the gist of what it looks like. It came with eight napkins, but the other four are soaking in  a mixture of Biz and Oxy Clean, which is Colorado Lady’s formula for cleaning vintage linens. They had some minor yellow spots on them, so I’ve opted to try her recipe, which she claims works wonders!  I’ll let you know how they cleaned up!  

*****  Update as of  late night, August 10- my linens soaked for about 24 hours and they came out beautifully!  The yellow age spots are gone, as are some old lipstick stains, and a few unknown dark marks.  This recipe worked wonders.  I made up another batch of the mixture and soaked an unbleachable white shirt that had been stained with red wine. In an attempt to remove the wine I initially bleached it. This process left the shirt with yucky yellow stains~  Well, even those are gone now.  Hurray! I have a wearable piece of clothing once again.

IMG_0941 

 

 

 

 

candlesticks

The glass candlesticks were a previous find from a favorite store that went out of business. They were included in a lot where I got over 100 pieces of miscellaneous glassware for an$8.00 bid. 

 

candlestick1

 This two foot tall candlestick will be spray painted a venetian bronze color. Another  bargain at a dollar!

 

teacups 1

These two framed prints will most likely be a gift for a friend who collects tea cups. A little dark stain will muddy up the shiny brass on the frames. They were a $6.00 find for the pair.

cup   

You can see some of the detail on these two cups and saucers.

 

cup2

 

lamp

Probably my most thrifty find of the day was this outdoor lamp. It looks like a thrown pottery pot and has a linen-look shade. These babies sell  for over $50.oo at retail stores. It’s being used on one of my back patios. 

I bought it for……                    Are you ready?    ….. 

 

$4.00!!      Wooo Hooo! 

~~~~~

I had another lucrative yard sale-ing day, wouldn’t you agree?  My friend Susie Q from Rabbit Run Cottage will be joining me next week. We should have a blast!

~~~~~

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb

Thanks once again to Rhoda for hosting

      Today’s Thrifty Treasures  Party. 

       Stop by  her new site for a visit.

45 comments:

Beverly said...

Good job! I would have LOVED to have hit that first sale with you--although we might have had a tug of war with some of those garlands!

~~Carol~~ said...

Well you certainly had good luck at the sales! I can't believe everything at that first sale was $1. I hate when nothing is priced, and I always hate to ask, but sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. Love that second tablecloth the most. How pretty!

Lori E said...

Nothing is cheap around here. What is Biz? Just a laundry soap? I do have Oxi Clean.
Now if I only had some nice linens to use it on.
You must have a really big vehicle to cart all this stuff home with.

Jo said...

I love the teacup pictures! Of course I would I own prints that are 2 of those in my kitchen lol! You lucked in ! We started out in Beavercreek/Fairborn and then decided to go to longest yd sale. We started north of Eaton to Cincy. I will post later. You lucked in girl!...Jo

Nicole @ BugaBoos said...

Love the lamp! Love all of your finds! The gourds especially!! I love love love waverly!

BrittanyMarie said...

What great finds!! I will take your advice and not use the towels for rags around the house :-)

Gwen said...

I am giggling at the mental picture of you and Beverly in a tug of war;)

You hit the jackpot at a few sales. That lamp? WOW!

Sue said...

I told Beverly on her blog that I would be fighting HER for the pink parfait glasses that she found! What's next? Pulling hair?!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow - wished I had found a sale like you did. You really got some bargains.
Not sure what I will do with the bowl just yet - I know it will come in handy during the holidays.

Jennifer said...

Very nice finds ... love the tea cup prints!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wow, you had a great day of yard saling, that is for sure!

ellen b said...

Well done girl! your really got some great bargains. I'll have to remember that biz and oxy clean trick :0)
Love the linens...

Marla said...

You made some terrifc purchases. Love the big lamp, the bird house and all the great garland and oh the gords too.

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

wow!! Impressive finds.

You might wanna lock the door someone might just wanna come visit this stuff and "BoRROW" it permanently ;)

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love the tea cup prints. Those are so pretty. :) Good finds! Thanks for the visit! :)

Polly said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment about your visit to The Olde Shoe in Lancaster. I think I remember chatting briefly with the two of you! I commented that you seemed to be having a lot of fun and that I wished I was going out shopping with you!

Let me know details about the little shopping trip in September. I think it sounds like fun!

Polly

Blue Creek Home said...

You win!!!
What great finds. Love both tablecloths. And I am quite sure that I love all 100 of your glassware lot!

Twice Remembered said...

Such beautiful finds and photos! The teacup prints are such a treasure - so pretty!

blushing rose said...

Auk! Where do you live, I'll be right over, when are you going out next??? Oh, sorry, too many questions! WOW you did REALLY great! Those teacups were a STEAL! Congrats! TTFN~ Marydon

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

What a lucky day you had Sue! I had not heard about the longest garage sale this past weekend but then I live on the wrong side of the state for that one! I did not get to any garage sales this week. We had grandson's birthday in
Columbus so that was a priority for us. Anyway....love all the stuff you got! I can't single just one thing out because I love it all!
~Hugs, Patti

jskell911 said...

Wonderful finds! I love that "Make An Offer" sale!

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Sue, great finds and beautiful post. Love you photos!

The Tattered Cottage said...

You really scored BIG with all of your fabulous finds. I can't say I have a favorite as I love all of them :)
Toni

The Tattered Cottage said...

Sue -
I'm actually going to use the vintage baby tub for a drink cooler :)
Toni

Edie Marie's Attic said...

I think you have the finds of the summer Sue! What great things and the outdoor lamp... Woo Hoo is right girl!! I love everything you found.

Have a great week and happy saling!

Hugs, Sherry

Diana@DevineDesigns said...

Hey There Fellow Ohio Blogger - thanks for stopping by the Devine Home via Rhoda's! Looks like you got some great stuff sale-ing - don't you just love deals????

Lou Cinda said...

Sue: SCORE!!!! You did awesome! Much better than if you had gone on the BIG yard sale. Most of what I found was either just junk or way overpriced! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cloches so I CANNOT wait to see what you got!!!

You have a great eye girl, my sofa IS Hickory Hill. Apparently, they have gone out of business and therefor it is discontinued, which is why I got a good deal on it!

Have a GREAT week!!

Lou Cinda :)

ThriftyAnnabella said...

You found some great buys!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Very lucrative! Love finding things for $1.00!!

Amy

Kitty Scraps said...

Love your finds! I've been on the hunt for bittersweet too and so far no luck finding any at a bargain price but I have hope *smiles*

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment! The link to Little Green Notebook has even better directions for making a shade than mine since I'm camera challenged at best *smiles* This was truly a simple project and I put it off for such a long time and now wondering why since it literally took me less than an hour to make. Try it and let me know so I can see how yours turned out *smiles*

blondiensc said...

Girl, you found some amazing treasures...love the table cloth and the napkins..darling! The lazy susan is gorgeous too...love those yard sales! :)

XO

Southern Fried Gal said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping over! I loved your comment on the hand gel - ha! Great finds, by the way!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue! I love all your bagains! You are so lucky!

Hugs, Pat

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Congratulations! You did GOOD! I went...yes...I went in spite of feeling not so great...and didn't over do it...but made some great finds as well. It felt so good to just be out in the fresh air and see people! My home was beginning to get even smaller than it is! :)
I did good to...but not sure I am up to posting yet. However..it was fun visiting yours...:)
Inspiring!
Hugs..
Mona

Kammy said...

Wow, Sue !
You found great deals...I adore the tea cup pictures !
Kammy

Frippery said...

Gorgeous deals! Plus some tips and decorating ideas, love this post.

Anne said...

Wow, you came across a lot of good deals. I love your lace table cloth.

Amy Lynne said...

I love the vintage linens, so pretty! You found some great things!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Oh my word you found some great stuff! Maybe next year we can meet up!

Donna@designson47thstreet said...

Well, didn't you have fun Sue? You really hit some good sales. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of your thrifty finds. I am so taken by linens, that I would have been scurrying over to those right with you. Linens and dishes are my weakness. Very fun post. Congrats on all your excellent finds. Oh, btw, I need to start looking on Craigslist more. Do you find much there?

Susie Q said...

Oh wow Suey...are you tryin' to make me drool? Dang. I knew you got some wonderful things but seeing them here, well, just makes me drool.
So when are we goin' Huh? Huh? : )
I had a great time yesterday...hope your special day was sweet.
Love,
Sue

Amisha said...

The teacup and saucer prints are beautiful! Great find!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Yes, I would certainly say you had a fabulous yard sale day! What treasures you found and at such bargain prices! We wouldn't be able to go together to yard sales, because I'd be wanting the same treasures you found. We'd end up bidding against each other. I love everything you bought, and I really love the prices you paid. laurie

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Boy you had great luck! You found so many wonderful things! I'll have to try that recipie on some material I got at the thrift store. Love both of the tablecloths!

Manuela

Kathleen said...

Holy cow!!! You hit the jackpot.
I have Quaker lace tablecloths my mom gave me. Hard to find in all cotton..
I love all your treasures! The one with the napkins is so sweet, and a buck for those garlands..great!
I have to go look for the recipe for the wash.
My QL have a few yellow stains..
Thanks Sue!