Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

New Found Friend….

I finally met another Ohio blogger on Thursday!  I drove to the Columbus area to meet Sherry of Edie Marie’s Attic where we enjoyed a long day of fun, food, shopping, and silliness. I immediately felt a kinship with Sherry ~ she is so sweet and likable.

We have had plans to meet since the spring, but schedules and hectic lives being what they are kept us from doing it until now. She made good on her promise to take me antique/thrift shopping at the Olde Shoe Factory in Lancaster and to the Urban Farmhouse in Thornville.

sherry and sue 

Lisa, the proprietress of the Urban Farmhouse, graciously took this picture of us in her shop. We both found many goodies in her delightful store, after much oohing and aahing at her merchandise.  I will be returning for another visit soon with Mr. Sullivan in tow.

                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~

                       IMG_0879     IMG_0864

 

                           IMG_0870           IMG_0869

                     I was in love with these new, but vintage looking runners.

 

                      IMG_0867     IMG_0868

             How about these candles in the shape of rocks or the lily pad and frog?

                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                 

IMG_0856

While in Thornville, Sherry drove by an old house she has admired for several years. It is now on the market again. Do I see a move in the near future, Sherry?  Just look at the windows, the fretwork, and the porch.  So cute…

 

IMG_0861

The house is in need of some repair and loving care, but just look at that cute gazebo and its cupola.

 

IMG_0858 

The front yard is enclosed with this wrought iron fencing. The picture below shows the gate ornamentation depicting the fence manufacturer, the Springfield Architectural Ironworks Co.

IMG_0862

 

IMG_0851

I liked the house directly across the street with its peaked roofline and elaborate woodwork on the porch.

 

IMG_0853

This part of the house features the coolest screen doors I’ve seen in a long time. Don’t you just love the detail work? I want to replace my modern storm doors on the kitchen and sun room French doors with old fashioned screen doors. I wonder if these are stock doors or custom made? Either way, this is exactly the detailing I want!

~~~~~~~~~

We drove on to Lancaster for lunch and shopping. I had the choice of a tea room for a frou-frou lunch or a good old fashioned burger at a small cafe. I chose the bacon cheeseburger at Trader’s Cafe and topped it off with battered onion rings. I dug into my food way too fast to take pictures, but suffice it to say, it was YUMMY! You don’t get this kind of food in a fast food joint.

                                             

                 oldeshoefactory      shoe factory

The Olde Shoe Factory Antique Mall is housed in an old manufacturing building. We did a lot of looking and some buying. We mostly laughed and poked fun at a lot of things like the things in the picture below. I wanted a shot of an old Radio Flyer tricycle, but after I realized what else I had taken a picture of, I just cracked up.  Why would those two things ever be featured together?!

 

IMG_0880

 

IMG_0885

Last Tuesday, I spent the entire day doing multiple loads of laundry using my automatic washer and dryer. What would I have done using this contraption? And how many days would it have taken to do it?  I know that at one time this wringer washer was the height of technology. All I can say is that I’m glad I live in the era that I do now. 

 

     IMG_0884         

I found an entire wall shelf stocked with old drug store health and beauty finds. If we straight-haired girls had wanted curls back in the old days, I guess we would have used a permanent hair wave product like the one pictured above. Guaranteed to give natural curls….  I don’t know about that. I was the beneficiary of many a hair permanent as a young girl and I always ended up looking as if I had stuck my finger in a light socket!

 

                    

   IMG_0882    

There were mosquito bite lotions, hair dye, hemorrhoid creams, pumices, and much more.

                                           

 

After our shopping adventure we went back to Sherry’s house where I met her husband, Wes.  We visited for a while and I tried to show her how to download Window’s Live Writer to help make her blogging easier. Before we knew it, the clock said it was almost 8 PM!!  I still had an hour and a half drive back home, so as   much as I hated leaving my new found friend, I had to high tail it home.  We want to make plans for her to visit Dayton and to perhaps meet other local bloggers.  We can’t wait. Thank you, Sherry, for a fantastic day. And thanks for letting me eat that whole piece of turtle cheesecake all by myself!

16 comments:

Bellamere Cottage said...

Oh my goodness! It looks like you had such a wonderful day....I so wish I was there too!

Big hugs,
Spencer

Jo said...

What a fun trip I see some place I'm gonna need to visit!.....Jo

Lori E said...

That is great Ethel. Our blogging friends are usually just how they seem on "paper". Fun, smart, creative, did I mention fun?
I am meeting up with Joanne @Joanne Moving Forward-half speed next Saturday. I look forward to it. Did I mention fun?

imjacobsmom said...

What a day! It seemed like a perfect day, right down to the perfect cheeseburger and onion rings. I'm missing out on Windows Live Writer - I have a mac. ~ Robyn

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!
Oh what a great post! It was like reliving the wonderful day we had together!! I had so much fun and it was so great to laugh so much. You are a terrific gal and I loved every moment with you!!
I'm so happy I could ablige you with your own piece of cheesecake... it was the least I could do for such a perfect shopping partner. I'm so shocked you didn't mention our "friends with cellphones"! I think I will have to!! LOL

Big hugs, Sherry

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....Sounds like you had a fun day with Sherry! She wrote me and wants to plan something with you too. I wish I had known you were at the Urban Farmhouse....I live about 20 mins from there! I know exactly where those homes are in Thornville....I love those 2 homes too! In the fall they have fall festival there on the streets...we always go..it is a lot of fun!
~Patti

Stacey said...

Oh what a fun time! I'm so glad y'all got to meet and spend the day doing things you both love. Sounds perfect to me. :)

Susie Q said...

You two had a blast didn't you?? I am so envious!! We will all have to do this soon...and, till Sherry can be here too, you and I will have to get together soon and do some damage in a shop somewhere...I could use a little of that retail therapy myself!
I know I owe you a call...Bill had to go out of town and we had to finish up things here (like planting) and getting him ready to go. AND cheer camp begins tomorrow evening so we had to make sure we had all we needed for that...tomorrow??

That house is so, so pretty, so charming. I wold love to see it inside...

Love,
Sue

Armchair Housewife said...

Oh I really love all the old pharmacy finds. Too cute! And for two dollars each, I totally would have nabbed some and put them to good use. :)

blondiensc said...

Sounds like a wonderful day...with a new good friend and thrifting!! I am jealous you got to go to the Urban Farmhouse!...

Joanne said...

HI Sue - thanks for dropping by my blog. Loved seeing your pictures and can hardly wait to meet up with Lori - she has been quite the mentor for me. Oh and I love your design - very clean and easy to read.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I met Sherry and her daughter-in-law this summer too, Sue, and she was a lot of fun! It looks like you both had a good time together ...those stores had some interesting items for sale....LOL on the bedpan!

I have to give Live Writer a whirl again someday ..it did not work well for me the few times I tried it.

Hugs, Pat

Anne said...

Wow, it looks like you two gals had a splendid time and a day full of fun. How nice that the two of you got to meet. Thanks for sharing your story.

frippery said...

Sounds like a fun day. I have always wanted to visit the Urban Farmhouse. Those homes are lovely, such detail and the antique shop looks like a must see.

Housewife Savant said...

I need to shop where YOU shop!

Bunny Jean said...

I think that house may be waiting for me to buy it! I can just imagine all the cozy little nooks and crannies it must have. Thanks for sharing!