Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Vintage Thingies


I originally posted this on Monday, but had Blogger issues and only a few people were able to view it before I had to remove it. It features some vintage items that I purchased at an antique show I visited over the weekend, so I think that the post would qualify to be shown in this party hosted by ColoradoLady.

And if you were one of the few who had a chance to see it the first time, welcome back!




I ventured out in the heat and humidity to the little town of Tipp City, Ohio on Saturday to attend the town’s 6th annual antique and artisan show . The city closed down most of the main street in town to the 70 plus vendors who showed their wares.

One of my goals for the day was to try and find a galvanized metal watering can, but I had no luck finding exactly what I wanted. They were either too expensive or in poor shape. It was warm, even in early morning, so I ducked into my favorite re-sale shop in town, Feather Your Nest. So what do you suppose I saw first thing on the floor? A little red watering can! Now, it is a lot smaller than what I set out to buy, but its color and shape called to me. Not to mention the $6.00 price tag. Here it is sitting on top of my counter in the laundry room.

IMG_0459 ~~~~~

When I had cooled off sufficiently to brave the heat once again, I happened upon a booth that sold cute concrete gardening troughs. I made her an offer of $15.00 for it and she accepted.

IMG_0513

IMG_0515

It will hold the succulents that I purchased from Kroger for $8.95.

~~~~~

IMG_0462

I found a few more lovelies at the trough lady’s booth. This $8.00 cross-stitched picture is now hanging above my laundry room sink.

~~~~~

IMG_0468

This old bound journal will be a gift for a gardening friend.

~~~~~

Some of you may remember the rooster pictures in my kitchen that I previously posted about here. After some thought, I decided that I wanted furniture on this wall. So I trotted off to our furniture store and picked up this half-round checkerboard console table. It looked lonely all by itself, so I borrowed the black stained shelf from the downstairs bathroom to put above it.

IMG_0491

Yup, I think I like this better…

~~~~~

IMG_0487

I accessorized it with some of my thrifting finds ~ a chippy piece of molding, an old wire floral frog, and a tiny piece of glassware.

~~~~~

IMG_0483

An old lock and a metal picture frame accent the molding piece.

~~~~~

IMG_0481

This miniature footed piece of glassware was part of a big box that sold for $2.00.

~~~~~

IMG_0482

I stuck an old postcard of the Eiffel Tower into the wire floral frog.

~~~~~

IMG_0495

This $6.00 post finial delights me with its cracked blue finish.

~~~~~

IMG_0503

I even treated myself to a little special something in this box….

IMG_0510

It’s a coiled wire bracelet made to look like a wrist watch, complete with an old watch face. Isn’t it cute?

~~~~~

I thought it was a pretty good day. The crowd was friendly and I even saw a few familiar faces. On the way back to Dayton, I stopped at an old friend’s house. She never minds a drop-in visitor so I didn’t feel guilty showing up unannounced. After a nice, cool drink of iced coffee and some good conversation, she handed me a jar of home-made jam to take home. She’d been cooking the whole time we had been chatting.

IMG_0518

It was a good day, indeed!

26 comments:

Postcardy said...

I like the idea of using the frog for the postcard.

Roslyn said...

Wonderful treasures, love love the checkerboard table-& raspberry jam yummo!

Lori E said...

I love drop in visitors. As long as you don't care that my house is a mess you are welcome. After all you came to see me not my house right.
You found some lovely things. BTW when you borrow something that means you plan on returning it or are you going to get something new for the bathroom?

Susan S. said...

That sounds like an awesome day! I love the 1/2 table....very cool!

Happy 4th of July!

viridian said...

Sue;
My goodness I LIVE in Tipp City and I was out of town for this! Just think of all the wonderful things I missed!
I visited your blog from Coloradolady - imagine my surprise to to see the Tipp ad!
Drop me a note! http://viridian61.blogspot.com/

CC said...

Oh My Gosh!!!! What wonderful finds,love the red watering can and the way you did the wall is just gorgeous. You're a very talented decorator. Happy VTT and have a wonderful and safe weekend.

Coloradolady said...

OH, you found some great finds that day! I just love the chippy blue finial and how you used the frog.....looks great.

Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

Susie Q said...

hey! Are you repeating yourself girlie??
Ohhhh...so I have to leave another comment? But i don't remember what I said before! Hmm...probably that I LOVE the new table and I LOVE the plate rack AND that I LOVE the new treasures AND I love the way you arranged it all...
I LOVED your house and truly am in serious kitchen envy. SERIOUS!

I had a wonderful time with you, as always. I still need to get a post up but I move slower than an old box turtle.
In fact, I call HIM,
"Speedy"!

When you are ready to sell that gorgeous piece in your living room, let me know what you want for it!! I loved it. Perfect for my family room downstairs!!

Love,
Sue

~~Carol~~ said...

I did get to see it last week, but I'm lovin' it all over again! Gotta have that red watering can!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Nice buys, Sue and it sounds like you had a great time. I love the hand stiched quote and the checker board table.

I like your new blog design ... easier on my middle age plus eyes to see..lol

Happy 4th of July!

Dawn said...

Oh dear! I left a long comment the other day about your wallpaper, Merced and your trip back from Santa Cruz. Let me know if you were able to get it, if not I'll do it again!
Dawn

Terry said...

Howdy Sue
Wow these are fabulous photos.
Naturaly I love them all :)
I tried to just pick one thing to comment on but I could not settle on just one item .
Oh well enjoy my compliments to the wise and wonderful shopper .
I need to go shopping with you .
What a great shopping trip .
Have a fabulous Thursday .
Happy Trails
Hugs

the wild raspberry said...

the eiffel tower in the frog is pure perfection!!
love it.
and your header is so enchanting~ i would love to go exploring there...
have a wonderful 4th.
chasity

farmlady said...

I have been here and gone so much that I must have missed you before.A homestead in Ireland. How lovely!
It's would appear that you had a great day of shopping in spite of the heat. Hot weather never stops a REAL shopper.
I love the cross-stitch and what it says but that watering can is just the cutest watering can I've seen.
Nice finds all.

LV said...

You more than qualified for VTT. You found some most interesting items on your outing. Enjoyed them all and your taking the time to share them with us. Also, I appreciate your stopping by my post.

Janet, said...

You've got a lot of pretty treasures! That jam looks like what I've got in my jelly cabinet. I made blackberry jam last summer, it's delicious. I love the little red watering can.

CHER said...

Hi Sue!! I love your style!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog--I have not used the shortening can yet. Any ideas? Have a blessed day!!!Cher

Amy said...

Lovely lovely finds, I'm drooling!

mannequin said...

Wow! Such great finds. I love the cross stitch; what a sweet saying.
Sounds like you had a wonderful time AND scored big :)

imjacobsmom said...

I was here then , and I 'm back now, and everything is still cute! ~ Robyn

Bea said...

Great finds. Love that bracelet. It is adorable.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

thanks for sharing your wonderful treasures here! I like the flower frog & paris postcard but I love most is the half moon table.. pretty!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Sue, it was definitely a good day! Your treasures you found are great, and I adore that table with the shelf hanging above it and your vignette on the table. Have a great holiday weekend. laurie

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

i have tried all day to log onto your blog but i keep get the dreaded 'abort' box..got no idea why, so here goes again for the umpteenth time..fingers crossed!!! Your post is fabulous Sue...i love all your treasures!!..the chequerboard table & shelves..out of this world!..the gardening journal...gorgeous!!,,the chippy final, mmmmm!!..the postcard of the eiffel tower brought back wonderful memories of spending time in Paris with my daughter, tres jolie!..and to top it off homemade jam..PERFECT :)

Housewife Savant said...

My evil blog reader hasn't been showing updates.

Or I'm dum.b

Either way...sheesh.

I love your treasures, and now I'm hungry too.

Brenda said...

An absolutely good day! I love what you did with the shelf and half table. And the little saying about dew drops. (Never heard that one and just love it!) And the red (you know how I love red!) watering can. You found some real treasures. Sometimes that's how it is. We go out wanting one thing, but end up coming home with things we chance upon!
Brenda