Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Thrifty Treasures and Metamorphosis Monday

I had a computer issue earlier today, and I have had to re-do this entire post. So I apologize to those of you who tried to view it and couldn’t.  And from what I understand from a friend who attempted to help me fix the problem, you pretty much COULD NOT see it!

I lost the comments I had before I took down the post, so please forgive me for not getting back to you. 

I’m linked to these two parties today to show you what thrifty finds I used to do a little transformation in my kitchen.

 

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb

MM

Please click on their buttons to see what everyone else is posting

~~~~~

 

tipp show

I ventured out in the heat and humidity to the little town of Tipp City, Ohio on Saturday to attend the town’s 6th annual antique and artisan show . The city closed down most of the main street in town to the 70 plus vendors who showed their wares.

One of my goals for the day was to try and find a galvanized metal watering can, but I had no luck finding exactly what I wanted. They were either too expensive or in poor shape. It was warm, even in early morning, so I ducked into my favorite shop in town, Feather Your Nest. So what do you suppose I saw first thing on the floor? A little red watering can! Now, it is a lot smaller than what I set out to buy, but its color and shape called to me. Not to mention the $6.00 price tag. Here it is sitting on top of my counter in the laundry room. 

 

IMG_0459 ~~~~~

 

When I had cooled off sufficiently to brave the heat once again, I happened upon a booth that sold cute concrete gardening troughs. I made her an offer of $15.00 for it and she accepted.

 

IMG_0513

 

 

IMG_0515

It will hold the succulents that I purchased from Kroger for $8.95.

~~~~~

 

IMG_0462

I found a few more lovelies at the trough lady’s booth.  This $8.00 cross-stitched picture is now hanging above my laundry room sink.

~~~~~

 

IMG_0468

This bound journal will be a gift for a gardening friend. 

~~~~~

 

Some of you may remember the rooster pictures in my kitchen that I previously posted about here.  After some thought, I decided that I wanted furniture on this wall. So I trotted off to our furniture store and picked up this half-round checkerboard console table. It looked lonely all by itself, so I borrowed the black stained shelf from the downstairs bathroom to put above it.

IMG_0491 

Yup, I think I like this better…

~~~~~

 

IMG_0487

I accessorized it with some of my thrifting finds ~  a chippy piece of molding, an old wire floral frog, and a tiny piece of glassware.

~~~~~

 

IMG_0483

An old lock and a metal picture frame accent the molding piece.

~~~~~

 

IMG_0481

This miniature footed piece of glassware was part of a big box that sold for $2.00. 

~~~~~

 

IMG_0482

I stuck an old postcard of the Eiffel Tower into the wire floral frog.

~~~~~

 

IMG_0495

This $6.00 post finial delights me with its cracked blue finish.

~~~~~

IMG_0503

I even treated myself to a little special something in this box….

IMG_0510

It’s a coiled wire bracelet made to look like a wrist watch, complete with an old watch face. Isn’t it cute?

~~~~~

I thought it was a pretty good day. The crowd was friendly and I even saw a few familiar faces. On the way back to Dayton, I stopped at an old friend’s house. She never minds a drop-in visitor so I didn’t feel guilty showing up unannounced. After a nice, cool drink of iced coffee and some good conversation, she handed me a jar of home-made jam to take home. She’d been cooking the whole time we had been chatting.

IMG_0518 

It was a good day, indeed!

21 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....Yes, I did try to read your earlier post and could not see anything but the red watering can and the concrete bowl. I love that black shelf with the half round checker table! That looks great together!
~Patti

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got your problem solved because this is a pretty post with your new blog look. The furniture looks really nice together and you found some good bargains at that fair in Tipp City. See you soon, Kathryn

Jadehollow said...

Sue it's darling! I love the console table and the watering can.. that's right up my alley.
Hugs,
Debbie

susan said...

You have a knack for putting things together! I love the lock on the molding and the keys in the shadow boxes!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I love the book...for years my business name was The Potting Shed. Great finds. Happy Monday.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, Sue, I just love the half-round table AND that wonderful piece above it! What a gorgeous combo. You really found some nifty stuff out there. Good for you.

Susie Q said...

I was in envy enough with the roosters and now you go and up the ante!! Sheesh! I LOVE the table and am droolin' over the rack above it too.
You do have a great eye at picking some wonderful treasures...so many goodies all artfully arranged so well! Yup. You do have the knack...the gift!

I wonder what you will find tomorrow??

Love,
Sue

Bellamere Cottage said...

Hi Sue!

I LOVE your new table. Black and white checks make my heart sing! I'd take it anywhere....floor, walls, tables, curtains, car....nah....that's going to far, isn't it? I'd look like a cabbie! The cabinet above it is just darling. Wish I had it....and a jaunt to your downtown! What fun finds....

Hugs,
Spencer

Holly said...

I love all of your photos. . .I am envious of your finds, and decorating skill! Thank you for sharing your talent with us!

Blondie's Journal said...

How I would love to go to a festival like this, Sue! I would need a U~Haul to carry all my treasures home! And treasures you bought indeed! Love everything...

The checkerboard table has me green with envy! I adore it!! It looks fabulous on that wall with your cabinet. They look like a set!

I hope you are enjoying your homemade jam! Your friend sounds like a sweetheart!

Have a great week, Sue! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Donna@designson47thstreet said...

Isn't it so frustrating to lose a post? I've had that happen before too.

I am in awe of your fabulous finds. Wow! Great job. It does sound like you had a great day, complete with a visit with a friend who gave you jelly! What flavor is that? It looks mighty yummy.

I'm still working on WLW. You know the best advice I got from you so far? To cut and paste pictures. Here I was trying to move them around. I'll be emailing you again soon! ;)

Loved looking at your pictures today. Thanks for reposting.

imjacobsmom said...

Sue, it sounds like your town's antique sale has many more bargains than mine. You sure got a lot of really cute things. I've noticed that our galvanized watering cans magic price is about $28-$30. Your cute little red one was a great bargain. ~ Robyn

Shelia said...

Hi Sue! Glad you're up and running again. Puter problems can be so frustrating! Oh, what a precious little red watering can. What great prices on all of those treasures! I love the little half round table and the 'furniture' hanging on the wall! What a great spot!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :0

Kammy said...

I am drooling over the jam....yummy !
I am so loving that table and that shelf - it would look perfect in my home, LOL !
Really love your finds !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Really Rainey said...

Wow glad you took the time to repost! I LOVE that half table! My goodness its beautiful! Stop by my blog for my 100th post giveaway if you get a chance!
Have a great week!
~Really Rainey~

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

What great finds! I love the black shelf over the white table; it really pops off the read wall. Did you paint the table or was it purchased like that?

Lou Cinda said...

Sue: I love everything you got! And the checkerboard table with that cabinet...to die for!! I have a floral frog I got a an estate sale a few weeks ago! Love the idea of putting a photo in it! Thanks for the great idea and your wonderful inspirations!!

Lou Cinda

Joyce said...

I love the saying on the cross stitch. Thanks for sharing.
Joyce

Helen Joy said...

I love the table and I love the little cross stitch. How darling!

KBeau said...

Lots of great finds. That frog brought back memories of arranging flowers with my Aunt Mary. Is that wallpaper in your laundry room? I love it.

BTW, with your Irish background, did you recognize the bottom picture from my Wordless Wednesday post? It's Slea Head beach on the Dingle Penninsua.

Dawn said...

Hi Sue, glad you got your post figured out. I changed my template etc. recently and it was a little scary!

Love all your great finds. I am really dying over all your wallpaper. The laundry room is amazing. I LOVE wallpaper but only have it in the kitchen becasue the rest of the house is textured plaster.

Funny you should ask about Merced. I did a 2nd post last night linking up with The all American Home Town Tour at Huckelberry Prairie.

Mariposa is very close. One of your first posts I read was when you had just gone home after leaving Santa Cuz with your son. I think I commented that you might have passed close by on your way out of the valley. We are on the east side of the county near Hwy. 140 so if you took that way to Mariposa you were within a mile of us! My grand father and an aunt live in the Oakhurst area. I also have a couple of young cousins living in Santa Cruz. One attended the UC. Small world huh?
Dawn