Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Friends....

I'm participating in Sunday Favorites hosted by Chari @ Happy to Design . This is an opportunity for us to share older posts which may not have been seen, or are just special to the blogger, herself.

This is the second post I wrote as a new blogger back in March. I wasn't sure which direction I would be taking as a blog writer- in fact, even today, I wander between the decorating and the reflecting mode. Just wanted to share this with you in case you never went any farther back in my archives than a perfunctory look. Hope you enjoy my relections.











This is an excerpt from one of my favorite little books,
Wit and Wisdom from the
Peanut Butter Gang
by H. Jackson Brown
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was as lucky as H. Jackson Brown was to have had a happy childhood full of friends.
In grade school I had my neighborhood guy pals who met up with me
in the vacant field around the corner where we played
baseball, kickball, and tag.

To this day, Mike Edwards talks about the time he had to be admitted to the hospital for the concussion I gave him while playing tackle football!
Of course, to complement my tom-boy side, I also had my girly pals with whom I dressed Barbie dolls and talked about the cutest boys in class.

Junior high and high school friendships were both happy
and painful.
As in most schools, there were cliques. We had the cheerleaders,the pep squad, the cowboys, the athletes. There were the bandies, the braniacs, the tough kids, and more.
Often, these cliques overlapped. We were a small school and my friends and I
could easily fit into several categories at the same time.

During this awkward period of adolescence,
we all wanted to be considered popular.
Friendships were cultivated & often kept.
Sometimes they dissolved through petty jealousies.
We sometimes felt the pangs of hurt and anger
when we thought that we had been wronged.
I know now that this was just preparation for our relationships
in college and in adulthood.

Today, I consider myself to be very lucky in my friendships.
My best friend, of course, is my husband.
I have my work friends, my family members, my old friends, and my neighbors.
Newly added to this list are my blog friends.
I want to thank all of the friends I've had in my lifetime
for their love, support, caring, and encouragement.
They've helped make me what I am today.
To quote one of the children in H. Jackson Brown's book,

"No matter how many friends you have,
there is always room for one more."

14 comments:

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Sue! How nice to "meet" you via Chari's Sunday Favorites meme.

I like your post about your childhood; a good growing-up is a treasure. I had one, also, and the older I get the more I appreciate that.

I'm glad you like our guest room. I look at it and think, "got to change that clunky old quilt rack, got to cut out the drapery lining and replace it, got to . . . ."

Nothing is ever done!

Thanks for visiting, and I will be back to say Hello to you!
Cass

Martha said...

Sue -- thanks for visiting Linderhof. Because of your visit, I found your wonderful site.

I loved your post -- And I will come back to visit!

Martha

Florida Sue said...

How sweet and touching. I have decided that my blog is going to be just me. A little domesticity, a little sarcasm and a whole lot of truth. At this point in my life I figure, what the heck? I am not out to impress anyone and I really struggled in the beginning with just posts about my belongings. This is why I was drawn to your blog Ethel. You have style and wit obviously packaged in a great deal of compassion. Thanks for being my blogging friend.

XO Lucy/Sue.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I love the quote you ended with. Isn't that the truth? My mother is really the one that taught me how to be a good friend. She knew how to stay connected to her friends and led by example. In fact, I am still in contact with many of my childhood friends because my mother stayed in contact with them even when I was too busy raising my family to understand how important they would be to me one day. Now that my mother is gone and am eternally greatful for the leasons she taught me about friendship. Isn't is amazing to see how many truly amazing women are out there in blogland willing to share their talents and their hearts?

Lori E said...

Sue/Ethel or what ever we call each other...the fact that we call each other FRIEND is the only thing that matters.
Lori/ the other Lucy

Brenda said...

Isn't blogging cathartic? I think so. I love my blog friends! You're on that list!
Brenda

xinex said...

How so ture! I hope you are having a nice weekend, Sue!...Christine

Housewife Savant said...

Oh I lurve this!
Makes me wish I HAD friends.
No, wait, they're a lot of work. [shudder]
Nevermind.
I have kids.
And other people's kids.
Cats.
And a fail dog.

My hubby is my best friend too, and this is a delightful post, all kidding aside. Lovely!

Chandy said...

Hello, I'm new to this blog, but I feel very welcome by your repost. Thank you so much!

Dixie said...

always an enjoyable visit here Sue... have a wonderful week.

Beverly said...

My daughter has a quote in that book--she was about 10, I think.

The quote you ended with is so very true. Family and friends are what life's all about. And if you can find friends in your family, it's all the better.

Chari said...

Hi Sue...

So happy that you joined in with Sunday Favorites this week...it's so nice to have you, my friend! What a great post about friendships and the importance that they play throughout our lives! It's been nearly a year now since I started blogging and I've met so many wonderful people and have made several endearing friendships here! The whole thing still amazes me...but my life has certainly been enriched by this entire experience!!!

Have a wonderful week, my friend!
Chari
PS...did you really give that guy a concussion while playing football? My goodness Girl, I needed you on my team!!! Hehe!!!

Susie Q said...

Well it's no wonder I love ya. I am so glad to know you, call you my friend and been blessed to share some time with you laughing.
And I doubt I will play football with you...I am dizzy enough as it is!! : )

Love,
Sue

Kathleen said...

There's always room for jello...and a new friend!