Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Aaaahhh…. Sleep

treat yourself

Lori E @ Family Trees May Contain Nuts invited us to treat ourselves or someone else  today. That could mean anything from treating ourselves to a luscious  and decadent hot fudge sundae from our favorite ice cream parlor, to being nice to  mean Aunt Jane who always tells us to stand up straight, or  to having a  mani and a pedi or maybe even a Brazilian ( hmmmm…that could constitute being nice to multiple individuals). You get the picture…..

Well, I’m a little late getting started on this meme. I spent the entire day driving in my car, and you know how tired that makes you feel. Add to that the fact that I’ve been running on half-steam for the past few days because I can’t seem to get more than 4 hours of sleep each night.

I think it all stems from the fact that I cleaned the garage out in its entirety on Monday. With the remodel we’ve been doing, it was full of the workmen’s sawdust, as well as our junk. I took everything out of the garage, weeded out the keeps and the throw-aways, hosed off the floor, then put everything back in. Even Mr. Sullivan commented that the room look spit-shined! He just couldn’t figure out why it had taken seven hours to do it, though.

The sleep deprivation thing has me baffled. I go to bed, my eyes can barely stay open, and then I conk out- only to awaken a couple of hours later, unable to go back to sleep. You know, it’s lonely in the wee, dark hours of the morning.

So when I got home this afternoon, I went into the study, checked my e-mail, commented on a couple of blogs, and promptly did this…….

photo courtesy of Imaginepaa130000005

Yup, I fell asleep. And it felt soooo good! A nice little afternoon treat for myself. I awoke refreshed,  rejuvenated, and ready to face the world again. In other words, ready to do morning dishes, pay a few bills, and get dinner started.

Oh, but how much better I feel.  And so here I am letting the world know that I’m alive and ready to face the day. Except that today is nearly done, and in  a couple of hours I will be readying myself for bed.  I hope that the vicious cycle of not sleeping at night will subside. Otherwise, tomorrow I may be indulging myself in a “Treat Yourself Friday. “

14 comments:

Lori E said...

Good for you Sue. I have the answer for your sleep problems. I have the exact same problem on and off.
Go to Costco or a pharmacy and get some Melatonin. Is is really cheap. You put one tiny tablet under your tongue at bedtime. You continue to do this for 2-3 weeks. When you're sleeping you create Melatonin which in turn helps you produce Seratonin. I think that is how it works anyways. You will soon notice you are sleeping well again and even if you do get up to pee you can fall right back to sleep. After a couple weeks you stop taking it until you get another bad run of insomnia.
That is the other thing. Do you turn any lights on when you get up to pee or whatever, are there any lights shining in the room? Maybe a bright clock face. As soon as your eyes recognize light it stops the Melatonin production so you can start waking up. Not what you want at 3:00 a.m.
Good luck with that and thanks for stopping in at my place. I am pretty sure there was a Lucy episode where they couldn't stay awake. Hmmm. Good night.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue....yea, been there done that, especially when I was going through "the change"....but now that that is over I seem to go into a 'coma like state" every night. I feel my way into the bathroom and try not to open my eyes....lol...good luck!
~Patti

Kathy said...

Sue - well...it's almost 1:30 a.m. - I'm not sleeping - these blogs are keeping me awake! LOL

Hope you get your sleep straightened out - you need lots of energy to be able to go junking (and lots of other things, right?)!

Hope to see you soon!

Kathy

Stacey said...

Sue, I feel your pain with that sleep problem. Happens to me off and on - exactly as you described. It makes you feel really bad the next day. I've never figured out the cure except for an occasional Tylenol PM.

Beverly said...

Try some Melatonin. It's great stuff. Naps are wonderful things, though. I think I could take one every day.

Florida Sue said...

It's awful isn't Sue? I really think it is an aging thing and I think the melatonin is a good idea. My problem is that I can't fall asleep in the first place, which I think has more to do with anxiety and my mind racing about every thing that I need to do the next day.I even tried Lunesta, but it only worsens depression and loses it efficacy quickly. I can remember Lucy trying to sleep on an airplane with a huge smuggled cheese that she had wrapped up in a blanket like a baby. Ethel was mortified, and at one point they just had to start eating it. All that cheese must have made them sleepy!

Cher said...

hmmmmm. And I thought I was the only one with this problem. My doctor took me off my cholesterol meds to see if that would help my various problems. We'll see!

The Texas Woman

Blondie's Journal said...

Hi Sue!!

Thanks for visiting!! I have had, and still do once in awhile, the dreaded waking up and feeling like I am the only one in the world awake syndrome. Ten years ago I had a doctor that precribed Ambien freely to me. I was up to 5 of them a night and had to spend a week in the hospital to cure me of my dependency. Not fun... I would not recommend any from of sleep aid to anyone, especially Ambien. The side effects can make you psychotic.

I guess I just became stubborn that I would do it on my own. Naps had to be cut out because they just decrease the hours of sleep you need at night. My NEW doctor advised me to get up at the same time every morning no matter how many hours of sleep I got. After awhile your body will know you are exhausted. Energy drinks without caffiene are great during the day if you are fighting to keep your eyes open.

To get over that anxiety ridden "I'm alone in the night while everyone peacefully sleeps", I leave a small light on in my living room next to a comfy chair with a stack of magazines. I make herbal tea and just sit and try to let my mind drift into the reading. It's very relaxing and soon I'm off to bed. The worse thing to do is to lay in bed agonizing over it. I also read before bed, in my bed. It takes my mind off all my problems and plans, etc., and really makes me sleepy. I will say that blogging, TV and talking on the phone in the evening really stimulates me and makes things worse.

I hope this helps you Sue! I'm so glad I stopped by! Have a great weekend! :-)

xoxo
Janie

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Hope you sleep sweetly tonight, Sue.:)
Happy weekend,
Lidy

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

I hope you are in bed and having peaceful dreams! laurie

The Muse said...

Every lassie needs a nap, now and then!
I hope you get rejuvenated and inspired!

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

I second what Lori E said. Its worked for me -- my mother really struggles with this but refuses to take ANYONE's advise :) ok..

My vote is the pedicure though for sure.

Hope your dreams are sweet and you get your rest.

TTFN~~Claudia

Bellamere Cottage said...

Hi Sue!

Fortunately I'm not having that problem RIGHT NOW....but ........whew.......I've sure suffered in the past. I hope you get it figured out soon. It's just not good not to get enough sleep....Ok........here's a WIN-WIN-WIN solution.........come and clean MY garage. You'll be so tired you'll sleep for weeks and I'll have a CLEAN garage, thereby saving my marriage........ :-)

Hugs,
Spencer

the pleasures of homemaking said...

I know how you feel, the same thing used to happen to me. I'd wake up at four and not be able to go back to sleep until around 7 which was great on the weekends but not during the week when I had to be up at 6-6:30 am! I started taking a product called Remifemen which is a herbal supplement with Black Cohosh. I'm doing this instead of hormone treatment. Since I started taking it I've slept wonderfully through the night!

Manuela