Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

A little woodworking progress…..

The contractor showed up on Tuesday morning and has made some  great progress on my new, beefed-up woodwork! This is a sneak preview and I will show more when the project is finally completed.

IMG_0163 

The original woodwork was basic builder moldings and casings. In other words- narrow. I changed out to a little wider stock and added a back band to beef it up. It has so much more presence now, and looks a lot more expensive. When you enlarge these pictures, you will see that none of the nail holes in the moldings have been filled in yet. That process will take place when all the woodwork has all been completed.

IMG_0179 The back band is a piece of molding that fits over the corner of the casing and gives it a wider return. You may be able to see the depth of the back band on the left in this photo.

IMG_0176

I added a rosette to the corners of the molding instead of mitering the casings at a 45 degree angle.

IMG_0181

  Here is a shot looking into the front hallway from the great room. The baseboard moldings are now 5 inches high instead of the standard 3 inches.

 

 

 

 

 

Hope all of you have a good weekend. Mine will be spent trying to clean up a little. I have been living in chaos since the end of April when the painters showed up and disrupted our household. So, even if the furniture won’t be put back in place for a while,  a little dusting and vacuuming will make me feel better.  Hugs, Sue

16 comments:

southern queen bee said...

Your rosettes look great. I love the look of stained wood. Cleaning up, even if you are not finished makes everything look better.

imjacobsmom said...

Sue, that's lookin' good! I too prefer stained and "beefy" woodwork. When we built our first house we had all the bells and whistles, but with this move we didn't have time to build. I'm going to put this on my to-do list for a future project! ~ Robyn

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your new woodwork looks fantastic! The higher moldings make the wood look much richer and the rosettes look great too!
~Patti

Claudia@dipityroad said...

New woodwork is like adding a new piece to our jewerly or a beautiful accessory. They look lovely and Im sure being able to clean and at days end sit and admire your time spent and hard work.

TTFN~~Claudia

Helen said...

Good morning Sue! You are so right about the new woodworking project. Everything looks so much more polished and finished.

I also loved all of your cross country State by State photos .... and of course your little $2 treasure!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Sue, That looks great. Pretty moldings make such a huge difference in a room. We will soon be replacing all the windows in our home. I want one thing and darling husband wants another. I am for pretty looks...he is for easy maintenance...go figure. :)

Crystal said...

Just wanted to say thank you so much for your sweet comments about my window treatments on Rhoda's Burlap party! Thanks for stopping by!

Holly said...

Looks beautiful! I like the character it gives. . .

Diane said...

Hi Irish Lady! I just love what you've done with the door trim! Beefy is right! Elegant too. So much nicer than the stocks they install.

Thanks for the nice comments about my fabric collection! When I hear words like yours, it makes it all worthwhile for me!

Blessings!
Diane

Joy said...

That is one gorgeous door!

Susan Lang said...

After you have cleaned up, just breathe! I am so pleased to read that my spiritual and inspirational Sunday post gave you something on which to reflect. blessings!

Lori E said...

Good job. Nothing changes the look of a room better than good moldings.

Lori E said...

Okay now I am getting the connection here. I got my Sues mixed up. Now you will get your Lucys mixed up. Friends don't let friends drink and email.

Susie Q said...

I am loving these mouldings...is it possibel to have *Moulding Envy*?? I'm thinkin' I have it baaaaad. : )

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Mouldings can make a big difference in a house. They look fabulous. It's almost all done and I can feel your relief. I can't wait to see the final results.

The Muse said...

Oh, goodness, trim work! The jewelry of architecture. One of my favorite things to play with when I am designing a space. Simply amazing how it can transform a space.
Thank you for sharing yours...and my fingers are crossed that your project continues smoothly!