Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Back in Ohio and Already Back to Thrifting…

I am so glad to be back home in Ohio after being away for a week! Dan and I flew out to Monterey to pick up his car, which he had left in the parking lot of his girlfriend’s dorm at CSUMB. With no further chance of job possibilities for him in California due to budget cuts and hiring freezes, it was time for him to return to Ohio.

He will have to continue with more schooling and a new state certification, but the economy seems to be a little more stable in Ohio, so I think his chances of getting a position here are better than in California. And heaven knows we need more police officers, what with ever increasing crime! Seems to me that this is one area that budgets should not be trimmed by the powers that be.

The trip back home took four days, traveling through ten states All of the pictures below were taken from inside a moving car, so they are a little blurry and out of focus, but you can get an idea of some of the scenery that we saw.

ca This is the San Louis Reservoir near Los Banos, California.

nevada The mountains of Nevada loom in the background.

arizona

We drove on I- 40 through Arizona, where the railroad tracks often ran parallel to the highway.

nm The New Mexico state line showing red and green chiles on its sign. Note the NM way of spelling chiles vs. the way most of you see it spelled chilies.

sullivan, mo We drove through a small town in Missouri called Sullivan.

in.This is a farm alongside I-74 in Indiana.

We never drove more than 9 hours a day and we stayed in some nice chain hotels along the way that served great hot breakfasts (that was definitely on the criteria when making advance reservations along the way! Who wants only a bagel or toast when you can have waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, or sausage with them?)

in and out

But who would’ve thunk that eating out twice every day, in addition to breakfast (plus snacks at fueling stops) could get real old real fast?

I couldn’t wait to come home to make and eat REAL food, like homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, day long -simmered spaghetti and meatball sauce, and a pork loin roast-yummmm…..

Dan’s girlfriend drove back with us and will be visiting until the first week in June. She said she never expected Ohio to be so green! It IS nice and green in the springtime here. Bet she wouldn’t be saying it was so pretty if she had to witness the snow and ice storms we get here in the winter, though!

So, after being without having my thrifting and shopping fix for eight days, I had to hit the one of my favorite little stores in Lebanon yesterday where we ventured down to the Old Shoe Factory Antique Mall. Dan and Destiny wandered around while Mr. Sullivan and I searched for bargains.

IMG_0146

On my third pass through the store, I discovered a small metal shelf topped with a wooden piece that clearly was not original to it. It has a small circular hole drilled in the middle of it and it has hinged drop leaves on each side. It fit right onto the top opening of the shelf rack, but it wouldn’t stay put.

IMG_0145

So I turned it over and saw that it had little brackets to hold open the drop leaves. A little light bulb went on in my head! I loosened the screws to the bars holding the leaf brackets, lifted the brackets up and over the metal bar on the shelf to hold the top in place, and voila… it stayed attached to the shelf!

IMG_0147

I now have a cute piece of furniture that I am going to use as a server out on the patio. I plan on plugging the hole with one of those wooden plugs you get at the home store, sand it off, and re-stain it. The cost of my purchase was a mere two dollars !!! It was my one and only purchase of the day, but I think it was more than worth it, don’t you?

18 comments:

Susie Q said...

You are HOME!!! I have been a bad blogger! I didn't know it!! Yippee! I know you are SO glad to be home and in your own bed...*sigh*

LOVE the pictures!

Love,
Sue

Chari said...

Hi Sue...

So happy that you made it home safely from your trip. Wow...you really had quite the drive but it looks like you had some fabulous scenery to keep you company! I wish your son the best with finding work in Ohio! I'm with you...I don't think that budget cuts in law enforcement is very wise!!!

My friend, I just love your little table! It'll be perfect as a server on your porch! Great deal too!!!

Have a fabulous Friday, my friend! Have a blessed and safe Memorial Day too!

Chari

Lou Cinda said...

I know it was long and tedious, but the scenery was gorgeous! And of course there was the precious time spent with your son and his girlfriend ~ bonding~

Glad you all made it home safely, and I LOVE the little table you got!!

Lou Cinda :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue.....Got your note yesterday and glad you are back home safe and that you are feeling better. One thing about traveling is that there is sure to be beautiful scenery along the way....makes the trip more tolerable. Hey...love the little table you picked up! It's adorable! Your trip to Lebanon makes me think that I have not been to Waynesville in a while. I think we will make that a day trip this summer! Enjoy the weekend!~Patti

Housewife Savant said...

Your pix..."blurry and out of focus" are beautiful.
Thrifting already. THAT'S the spirit!

thestonerabbit said...

So, you drove through Missouri and you didn't give me a call? :) If it had been on Thurs. you could have joined us on The Square in Independence for our visit with Jeanne from NC!! Wow, you covered some territory in a short amt. of time! What lovely scenery. I agree with you, I want a hot breakfast in the a.m., no bagels for me either! You are so right, eating out all of the time gets old fast---glad you're home and enjoying homecooking and those fabulous thrift store finds like that great side table!! I LOVE it!

Have a great Mem. Weekend! Dana

PS Happy belated WW!! I was so busy getting ready for my blogger friend's visit, I didn't visit WW posts! I did enjoy seeing yours today!

teachmama said...

LOVE your site--it's beautiful!
Can't wait to sit down and read past posts--
:*)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

What a beautiful and scenic (if long) drive! Glad everyone is safely home.

Florida Sue said...

What a great trip with some very nice pictures along the way. It's always nice to come home to all of your own things isn't it? In looking at that great table, I was trying to figure out what the heck the hole might have been there for.

Bellamere Cottage said...

Good morning Sue!

I'm so glad you had a safe trip back. I'd love to do a drive like that...lots of beautiful scenery. What fun!

Oh MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!! Your table is EXACTLY like the one in my post today. You can't really tell because all of it doesn't show, but it's the same one. How funny! I don't have that wonderful wood topper though. How clever of you to screw that thing down. I wonder why the previous folks didn't think of that. I suppose they're just NOT as smart as you are.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Spencer

Diane said...

Sue, I wonder what the little hole was used for?
Very interesting, unique find!
And it looks like you had an interesting drive across the country too! Something we'd like to do some day....
About hanging clothes on the line...yup! Neat is better! LOL! And oh...the scent!
Happy Homecoming!
Diane

Brenda said...

I sure would have grabbed that one up too! Reminds me of my beloved sewing machine tables I am always drawn to. Happy weekend! (And glad you're home.)
Brenda

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue!
I'm glad you're all back home safe and sound. It looks like you saw some beautiful scenery along the way. I love the west -- it's so wide open and untouched in so many places.

I love that table --such pretty scroll legs! What a bargain!
Happy Memorial Day weekend!
X0 Pat

KBeau said...

What a neat find at the thrift store. I just love a driving trip where you get to see the sights in other states. Good pictures.

Joy said...

Two bucks?! Man that's a steal! I love that In-N-Out Burger sign; so Americana.

The Muse said...

Very much worth it! And I am so glad that you were able to travel safely and that you had a great time!

lagirl said...

Loved the photos and would have never even known they were taken inside a moving vehicle. Great job! I understand about being glad to be home. I love to go, then I love to come home and eat my own food...Love your thrifting find. I did a bit of thrifting myself today, but found nothing nearly as nice as you did.

Kathleen said...

Yup!