Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What should I do with this?

I found this little shelf in one of my favorite little stores in Lebanon, OH. last week. It measures approximately 24 inches tall and 36 inches wide and it is painted (badly, I might add) a brownish-black color.

IMG_0005Both shelves have a plate groove, and I think this little guy could be hung on the wall or possibly (?) be placed on the floor as a small console underneath a larger piece, such as the one shown in the picture below.

bathroom shelf

This black, stained piece is hanging on a wall in my downstairs 3/4 bathroom. The room is currently under construction- the walls have been stripped of wallpaper and need to be skim-coated, the baseboards and casings are being replaced with wider stock, and I will be making a drape to cover the glass shower door. The area directly underneath this shelf is empty except for the upright toilet paper holder.

img_0002 (2)This is what the small shelf looks like placed on the floor underneath my existing shelf. Does it have the capability of being a console, or is it strictly a shelf? It does fill the space and could hold a multitude of “things.” But I’m not sure it really works.

Regardless of where the shelf gets placed, it needs some minor repair work. It will have to be sanded and touched up with a little filler. But do I just paint it? Do I paint, then sand and stain? Do I decoupage it? Oh, the dilemma for a novice…

Please tell me what you think, as any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sue

7 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sue,

Hmmmmm....I am not sure. I would lightly sand any rough spots and then paint. As for putting it underneath the other shelf, I think that is a matter of preference for you. Do you have a lot of use for it in that spot? Let us know what you come up with.
~Patti

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!

I think it would look great under the shelf you have on the wall. Maybe you could find some wooden ball knobs to use as feet underneath your new find to lift it off the floor a bit. It would then look like it should be on the floor. I would paint it black and let it "blend" with the upper cabinet. It's really a cute piece Sue, nice find!

I emailed you about my schedule for next week to see if there's any chance we can get together! And Rue too is she's avail!

Hugs, Sherry

Rue said...

I'm not even going to ask what you need a shelf there for LOL, but I think Sherry's suggestion is perfect. The ball feet can be found at Lowes too... so easy peasy :)

off to read about your mole adventure.... LOL

xo,
rue

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I think it looks good in your bathroom Sue as it is narrow and fits that spot well. The ball feet sounds like the perfect solution into making it into a console. Sherry always has such good ideas!

I love the wall shelf! Very pretty piece with that bead board background and scroll molding.

Susie Q said...

You COULD give it to your dear friend Sue..but that is just MY suggestion.
I am lovin' the other shelf too...and yes. It would look great with that other shelf, with those cute ball feet...just in case you don;t want to take My suggestion. *laugh*

Did you get the flyer about the showcase house?
I want to go!! How about you?

Love,
Sue

Mumzie said...

Well, I'm still learning from everyone; but I really like the two pieces together. Painting it black to match with the ball feet sounds like the way to go. Mumzie

blondiensc said...

Cute shelf..errr is it a shlef? :) I think it would look cute under your other SUPER fab shelf with ball feet...what about using it as a spice rack in the kitchen? You could also paint it and use vintage sheet music on the backside of it to give it a little flair...can't wait to see what you decide~ Also I love your playlist!