Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Southwest Themed Wall

WallWedLg

Barb @ Grits and Glamour is hosting “What’s on Your Wall Wednesday.” It’s an opportunity for us to see how everyone is decorating their walls. Click on her blog name to see what others have to share.

I am showing the sofa wall in my great room. Since I am originally from New Mexico, I have a penchant for southwest items. Many of these items were acquired while I was still living there.

great room wall

great room2

This ladder is made out of aspen wood from a forest in the mountains near Las Vegas, New Mexico.

great room3

This three dimensional piece of art is embellished with leather thongs and beads.

mirror This convex starburst mirror, although not a true southwest piece, is a nice addition to the wall vignette. And yes, that is my reflection in the mirror!

ladderI found this old rug in a shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico. A hand-made basket, fashioned out of birch bark, hangs off one of the ladder rungs.

great room4 The sun plays a prominent role in American Indian beliefs. The lower picture is a shadow box featuring a sculptured sun face. In the small contemporary piece above it, the artist used corrugated cardboard and a small piece of copper. I am interpreting it to represent the moon.

IMG_0024 (2)

These two pictures are lithographs of Indian pottery.

As you can see, not everything in southwest themed art is bright and colorful. The colors used in my wall art are all subtle earth tones.


9 comments:

Kathleen Ellis said...

What an interesting and unique collection of southwest artwork...very nice!
;-D

Mumzie said...

Sue, I love you collection...very nice. Very creative. Thanks for sharing. Mumzie

Debbie said...

Everything works so well together. Love what you did on this wall. Debbie

xinex said...

Love your southwestern wall art, Sue! You are right about NM! My dh worked at the Gallup Indian Hosp for 3 years. I stayed in FL while he worked there because I could not stand the winters, but I visited often. I love all the mountains there....Christine

Susie Q said...

I love, love anything from the Southwest! Yes, that includes you too!
I remember you mentioning the ladder and I just love it. Dang...with each picture I see, I love your home even more. is that possible? : )
We would LOVE it if you came to Ritter's with us! Kip says to tell you that Dog Night is the first Monday of the month...it is comin' up soon! And what about that showcase house? You up for that??

Love,
Sue

Crystal said...

Fabulous grouping. I love the ladder. Great job.

Kim @ Manning Family Tree said...

Interesting collection. I'm not into southwest decor, but yours looks nice.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Everything is gorgeous, Sue! My son and d-i-l often drive down to Albuquerque from Denver, because my d-i-l's grandmother lives there, and they have been slowing collecting some SW art.

Cher said...

You've got/had/have stored away great stuff! I love to change things around too. But mostly I just add...and add...and add. I've lost more husbands that way! I'm sure they're under something somewhere but it's easier to get another than to look for the old ones!

The Texas Woman