Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2009

More California Pictures

on the way to big sur

This is the view on the way to Big Sur last week. There was a bit of a haze over the coast, but the water was still beautifully blue.

We traveled from Monterey down Highway One to reach Big Sur. We wanted to picnic at Pheiffer Beach and we reached it via a one-lane road down a 2-mile long hill. I couldn’t fathom how going down a country lane type of road would lead me to a beach, but once we reached the end of the road and walked through some trees, this is what we encountered………

big sur 2

hole in rock We ate lunch not far from this formation. Erosion has most likely caused the hole in the rock where water now rushes through with the waves.

Big Sur 1 Water gushing through the opening.

biig sur 3 There were rock formations all along the beach area.

beach Walking along the shoreline.

ohio tide Mr. Sullivan attempts to write”OHIO” in the sand. Hey, buddy, don’t you see the water coming in?!

ohio on the beachHe eventually settled for writing in a drier area!

seagull The seagulls were everywhere begging for bits of our lunch. Dan and Mr. Sullivan could not resist feeding them. I pleaded with them to stop tossing bread- the little guys were interrupting MY lunch! They finally flew away.

sullivan&murphy Aahhh….. Sullivan and Murphy

cloudsThe sky on the way back to Monterey.

It was such a wonder for me to see such beautiful scenery. It is one thing to see pictures, but quite another to experience it in person. Those who have seen beauty in person know what I am talking about. I grew up in New Mexico seeing exquisite scenery, but California is beauty unto itself.

More pictures later.

~Sue

7 comments:

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Ohio in California....I love it!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Just lovely!
~Patti

Rue said...

Welcome home Sue!

I've been up and down Cannery Row so many times! It was wonderful to see pictures of my old stomping grounds and I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

I told Susie Q we should all get together and she thinks sometime this month would be great. Just let me know!

xoxo,
rue

Mumzie said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful visit out here in California. I love our coastal region too. Wonderful pictures! Hugs, Mumzie

Tara said...

Gorgeous photos Sue, I could spend all day there, soaking in the sun and playing in the water, so glad you had a good time! Hope you had a good weekend...

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue!

My husband and I drove down eh California coast from San Francisco to Monterey and Pebble Beach a year ago -- on our first trip to California. I was agog at all the rustic beauty of the farms, the shore, the little towns, the crashing waves, the cypress trees ...it was all so wonderful!

Glad your back with such wonderful memories too!

Hugs, Pat

PS Love the music on your blog!

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Hi Sue. thanks for leaving a note and stopping by.... Just back from vacation... playing catch up... oh yes....