Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tipp City Treasures

These are some of the finds that I made at Feather Your Nest Antiques and Decorative Arts, a little shop in Tipp City, Ohio that I featured in a previous post. My purchases came to exactly $35.00 and that included tax! I think I found some great bargains and some neat merchandise that I think will help make my house look more like a home.

I found this wood ironing board stashed behind a screen in one of the consignment booths. It was $9.99. I usually see them selling for around $35.00.
I have had a fascination with wood ironing boards ever since an old next door neighbor took me to lunch at a fancy schmancy little restaurant in Oakwood, Ohio and asked for us to be seated at the "ironing board." I thought she was nuts, but I thoroughly enjoyed my meal sitting at a very unique and interesting table!





Here you see my board set up in the great room. It's set up as a table for two for tea. ~I apologize for what appears to be clutter behind the board. That's my cocktail table and the three glass candle holders on top.




This is another shot of the board. The bunched lace table runner was also a store find at a cost of $1.99. I bought two other runners, but forgot to post them.





This small pink and white plate will be going into one of the upstairs guestrooms. It was a bargain at one dollar!





A little bird, (with what appears to me to be drunken eyes ) LOL is temporarily living in this cup and saucer.







I found this small (5 x 5) mirrored pedestal that features etching on all four sides. It can be hung on the wall, as well. Here it holds a pewter candlestick.






These old books are bound together with waxed twine and accented with a pheasant feather.







This is a small silverplated dish that can hold a multitude of things. I left it unpolished, since I like the look of old. It was $2.99.



A medium sized silver tray holds dried roses from a bouquet that Mr. Sullivan gave me last year. The $2.00 silver punch cup holds fake pearl beads.



I hope you enjoyed seeing some of my treasure hunting finds. I may not always purchase what some people would deem as expensive or very high quality merchandise. I buy what I like and what will enhance my home decor. And if it comes at a very reasonable price point, so much the better.

16 comments:

Country Romantic said...

Wow Sue....you found some great items and for a steal of a price. You are a good shopper. :) That is funny how they had an ironing board for a table. Very creative! I love things like that. Your teapot is gorgeous and the other finds too. Thanks for posting the pics and sharing them. :)

Hugs & Blessings,

~Katherine~

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sue
You made some wonderful purchases!My favorites are the old books -- I just love them!
The ironing board used as a table is so clever too.
There is a "Feather Your Nest" in Boulder, CO. I wonder if they are connected in any way? My son and his family live in Colorado so we often go into Boulder to shop. They have the best things, but I'm limited to what I can pick up since I fly home.

Have a good weekend!

Southern Lady said...

Hi, Sue ...

Thank you for your sweet note about my Southern Lagniappe blog. I'm so glad it led me to your pretty blog (I love the picture of the old homestead!).

Your ironing board table was a great idea, and I love the old books with the feather. The dried roses are an elegant touch, too.

I enjoyed discovering your blog and will be back to visit again soon.

Sincerely,

Janie

sandy said...

Those are some great finds! I love the ironing board idea:0)

I came by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood:0)

AP said...

wow!! i love the plate!! and I love the look of old books bound together!!welcome to SITS

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Wow, all of these things are just awesome. I truly admire people who can look at items like these in a shop and know just what to do with them. I would be all like, "Oh, that's so cute, but I have no idea what I'd do with it" and put it back. I'll bet your home is beautiful!

Dropping by to welcome you to SITS!

Mamarazzi said...

LOVE all of the fabulous finds!

OH, I am also stopping by to introduce myself and welcome you to the SITStahood. You are going to love this wonderful community of women.

You might consider following my blog…I host a monthly drawing for fun prizes EXCLUSIVELY from my list of followers. No need to check in every day (though ya might want to, and I would love that) just follow…pretty cool right?

AND come enter my FABULOUS giveaway too…so much fun stuff happening in the SITStahood.

I’m L-O-V-I-N-G it!!

Julie said...

Very nice...I especially love the little teacup and saucer :)
Welcome to the SITS community.

angi_b72 said...

Welcome to SITS!! You will love this bloggy community!

Joy said...

Sue, I love those books wrapped together with twine. :o)

Welcome to the SITS community, it's so great to have you as a SITSta!

Rhea said...

Treasure hunting is so much fun! Looks like you've found a lot of great stuff to decorate with. I've never seen the wooden ironing board table idea before. Unique!

I've with the SITS Welcome Wagon. I've been following SITS for around nine months now, and I've read so many fun blogs, met so many amazing women, and really enjoyed the supportive female-blogger community. So, welcome SITSta, glad you've joined us!

WishTrish said...

I'm just really enjoying your blog! It just feels like home. I grew up in an old house cluttered with old things. I love looking at modern life through the wavy glass of the past. Love it!

Susie Q said...

Oh Sue! I am sorry it took me so long to get here but I am SO happy I finally DID! Your blog is wonderful! I have been reading and just enjoying myself so much. And to know a woman as dearas yoiurself is close by...well, that is wonderful! I am hoping we can eventually meet somewhere. heck, I have never been to this Tipp City shop! That is a crime isn't it? *smile* What a sweet place! I love your purchases. I have one of those old ironig boards that I picked up in VA years ago. They are fun aren't they?

Your post about handwriting was such a pleasure to read. My Mother has the most beautiful writing. Me? Not so much. Sad really but it WAS an art form at one time and how awful that it seems to have become less important now.

The bird post broke my heart...the past 2 years we have had a nest of baby birds in our front door basket. The first year, late at night, a racoon got into the basket and took all 5 baby doves. The poor mama dove sat on the porch screeching all day. Oh did it make me desolate. It hurt so much to hear her. Last year we had a nest of baby robins and we were diligent in watching over them! I did not want it to happen again! Drove us crazy with worry!. The day they left the nest was cause for celebration! One by one we watched them fly. Of course then I worried about them flying into trouble! *laugh* The mama and the papa sat in the trees calling to them for hours, getting them to fly here and there, and getting them to learn.

Now I have blabbed on and on when all I really wanted to say was, I am I glad you are here blogging!! I will add you to my list if that is alright.

Oh! No, I have never been to Ireland and So want to go. I am tickled that you get to go! What fun you will have! I have loved reading about Pat's (in NY) irish adventures on her blog. It seems such a lovely and magical sopt in the world!

Love,
Sue

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I love your blog and I especially like the idea of using the antique wooden ironing board for a dining table!
Hugs, Patti

Housewife Savant said...

I came over from SITS this morning.
I love the homestead photo at your header. BeaUtiful.
I love your post about meeting with Rue and The Other Sue, and this post too. (Note the poetry there, please. I worked hard.)
I'm staying.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

It's lovely Sue, great minds think alike, right?