Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Friends




This is an excerpt from one of my favorite little books,
Wit and Wisdom from the
Peanut Butter Gang
by H. Jackson Brown
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was as lucky as H. Jackson Brown was to have had a happy childhood full of friends.
In grade school I had my neighborhood guy pals who met up with me
in the vacant field around the corner where we played
baseball, kickball, and tag.

To this day, Mike Edwards talks about the time he had to be admitted to the hospital for the concussion I gave him while playing tackle football!
Of course, to complement my tom-boy side, I also had my girly pals with whom I dressed Barbie dolls and talked about the cutest boys in class.

Junior high and high school friendships were both happy
and painful.
As in most schools, there were cliques. We had the cheerleaders,the pep squad, the cowboys, the athletes. There were the bandies, the braniacs, the tough kids, and more.
Often, these cliques overlapped. We were a small school and my friends and I
could easily fit into several categories at the same time.

During this awkward period of adolescence,
we all wanted to be considered popular.
Friendships were cultivated & often kept.
Sometimes they dissolved through petty jealousies.
We sometimes felt the pangs of hurt and anger
when we thought that we had been wronged.
I know now that this was just preparation for our relationships
in college and in adulthood.

Today, I consider myself to be very lucky in my friendships.
My best friend, of course, is my husband.
I have my work friends, my family members, my old friends, and my neighbors.
Newly added to this list are my blog friends.
I want to thank all of the friends I've had in my lifetime
for their love, support, caring, and encouragement.
They've helped make me what I am today.
To quote one of the children in H. Jackson Brown's book,

"No matter how many friends you have,
there is always room for one more."

9 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sue!

I'm so glad you have room for one more! I'm so happy we found each other and are in same state!!

Perhaps we can make connections to visit the Urban Farmhouse together. I know two great places to eat in Lancaster not far from there. Annies Cheescake & Tea Room and Traders, a hole in the wall with the greatest burgers ever!! (Thornville has NO good place to eat!)

Email me when you're ready for a trip!
Have a great weekend Sue!

Big hugs, Sherry

Country Romantic said...

I agree...there's always room for one more friend. And meeting you in blogland has been so much fun. I wish I could go with you and Sherry to the Tea Room....that sounds like so much fun!!! :)

Hugs & Blessings,

~Katherine~
CountryRomantic.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Sue, Happy to meet you! Thank you for visiting my blog. How wonderful that you have found an Irish ancestor's homestead! Mine are Kelly's from County Clare. We've never been but hope to some day - if the airlines ever improve!
I'll be back later today to read more over here!
Diane from Diane's Musings.

Melissa Miller said...

Hello Suey,
Thank you so much for visiting my blog today and your gracious comments. I really appreciate it.
You're always welcome anytime and to follow mine as well. Please do! :)

Small world.... My husband was born and raised in Dayton. He's in the USMC but we were staioned there for a few years while he received his Masters at WPAFB. We lived in Beavercreek at the time. I really liked Ohio and the snow. Being a Florida native it was fun to me. LOL!

Your blog is beautifully written and I will be back often.

Have a wonderful weekend.
~Warmly, Melissa :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Suey
I enjoyed this post very much! I can see I'll be visiting often. It's good to have made a new blog friend. Hope you and Sherry have a fun day together!
Hugs, Pat

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I have put this book on my must read list. :)

Barb said...

Sue,
My 'tweet' friend and I thank you for coming by.
If you make some nests i would love to see them and even post them on my blog.

Now off to read your story.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

funky bag freak said...

Popped over from SITS. I'm new to it as well but I am so excited to meet so many new people already.

Big hug
Angi

Rue said...

Hi Sue :)

You don't seem to have any trouble making friends ;)

Highschool was fun and a nightmare for me. I didn't fit in and tried too hard to be cool LOL I'm so glad I'm now at an age where I don't have to worry about being cool. Annie makes sure that I know I'm not ;)

(((hugs)))
rue